The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
ThomasB0726

1987 R30 won't start

This truck has a 350 K engine. I have replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump and added two new fuel injectors and the truck won't start. I know I am getting gasoline up to the throttle body.

The engine turned over for 1 second after I had installed the fuel injectors, which I think was due to residual gas that came out of the throttle body when I reinstalled the cover. I think I have installed the fuel injectors correctly but if anyone is familiar about what side the injector's side hole is supposed to be facing please let me kno.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else it could be?

Thanks for reading my post.

Last edited by ThomasB0726; 01-08-2013 at 02:19 PM.
ThomasB0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
bohmankid

Re: 1987 R30 won't start

Before randomly replacing parts, check for fuel and spark. Make sure you're getting the correct pressure in the fuel line, and make sure your spark plugs are lighting up. What are the symptoms? We need a lot more info.
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
ThomasB0726

Thanks Bohmankid.

The fuel pump didn't work on this truck initially. Then when I removed the fuel filter a lot of brown gunk came out and I replaced that. The engine would turn but it wouldn't fire up.

Then I changed the filters on the fuel injectors and the same thing. I thought maybe the fuel injectors got clogged with the "brown gunk" from the fuel filter so a purchased two new fuel injectors.

This truck was my late grandfathers and it was sitting for a while during the last few years of his life. This truck was running fine this past August.

Last edited by ThomasB0726; 01-08-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
bohmankid

Yeah I know what you're talkin bout. My 85 also had disgusting fuel stuff from sitting. So you're truck is TBI right? The next thing I'd do is check the plugs. See if they're fouled. If none of the plugs are getting a spark, or it is weak, check the coil/distributor parts. I believe the ignition coil is not under the distributor cap on your motor.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
ThomasB0726

Yes, the truck is TBI.

When I spray some starting fluid down the barrels it fires up and it sounds good.

I will check out the coil/distributor parts to see if everything is okay in that area.

Thank you for your reply, Bohmankid!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
bohmankid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasB0726 View Post
Yes, the truck is TBI.

When I spray some starting fluid down the barrels it fires up and it sounds good.

I will check out the coil/distributor parts to see if everything is okay in that area.

Thank you for your reply, Bohmankid!
Okay, NOW it's a different story. If you continuously put fuel down the intake and it idles fine, then it's pointing to a fuel problem. Easy-peasy.

Here's a story. I got my truck not running. Mine is also a TBI. I poored gas down the intake and it idled fine until i stopped pooring. I pulled the sending unit out of the gas tank and there was a rubber fuel line that was slit open and losing pressure.
Name:  11.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  48.2 KB

Now, I'm not saying this is your problem. But I would check all the fuel lines and make sure there is not blockage and that gas is actually trying to get to the fuel injectors. I bought an in-line fuel pressure gage to make sure my truck is getting proper pressure up to my injectors. You should be around 13 psi. Good luck buddy. You can still check for spark though if you'd like.. how long did it idle for while spraying starter fluid? Give us more details if you can.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
ThomasB0726

Thanks again, Bohmankid.

I didn't put all that much down the intake but it ran long enough to where I knew I didn't have any problems with the spark plugs/engine/etc.

I just came in from taking off the throttle body housing that goes over the injectors. I noticed the void in between the injectors (fuel intake for injectors?) was filled with gas - I am wondering if this gas is not making its way down to the fuel injectors themselves.

I will double-check my fuel pump and sending unit to make sure I'm not losing any pressure that way. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

hope it's not fulla gunky stuff,should hear the pump run when the key is turned fwd
should stop when full
check the pump power line to the rear I found a hard baked corroded spot over the rear wheel well,after replacing the pump
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
ThomasB0726

Thanks Motornut.

Everything seems fine with the fuel pump. I checked my fuel pump and sending unit, along with the little hose similar to Bohmankid's picture and everything seems fine. This hose has a nice and tight fit, plus I have two clamps on each end.

The fuel is clear going into the throttle body, along with in the area between the two fuel injectors.

At first I thought I put the new fuel injectors in incorrectly but it appears they only have 1 way in.

I am beginning to lose my patience with this! (lol)

Thanks again for your reply, Motornut.