The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
ChevroletWT

Brake Headache

If any of you have followed my build you will know that my truck was a complete basketcase when I first got it (And kind of still is). So my quest continues as I try to get things right.

The rear end is a 5 lug (1970 12 bolt), and the front drums are factory 6 lug. However, some lugs in the front drums were broken off, and after heating them up, and using a floor press (with the drum supported at every point possible) the metal around them simply gave without the lug coming out - so I am considering them shot.

Here is where I am now. Since my rear end is 5 lug, I decided it would be easier at this point to convert the front to 5 lug as well (it would also free up my wheel choices).

Here is the kicker, I have already rebuilt the front brakes and have some money put into them to do so. So I do not want to convert the front to disc.

My question is, what are my options, if any, to convert the front to 5 lug drums? Does anyone produce conversion drums? Would the drums off of a '56 Bel Air fit by any chance?
ChevroletWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Maximus

Re: Brake Headache

My suggestion: Use a simple conversion for disc brakes up front. (also get 5-lug up front)

All you have to do is add a proportioning valve to the front line and you can convert to discs for a safer ride.

im not familiar with your build, do you still have a 1-port master cylinder? A dual MC, or even a Power Brake conversion would also be a wise upgrade, and all are bolt-on aftermarket parts.

just my 2 cents...

in heindisght, you may be able to get the drums of a 50's chevy car to fit your spindle? not sure. I would just upgrade all as i mentioned though...
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
OrrieG

Stovebolt.com has a ton of info on more stock trucks, this is for the conversion. For all the work trying to find 60 year old car parts to use I would look at a disc conversion too.

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/...t&Number=28886
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
18tahoe

This is funny Will just sent an answer to you over at Trifive, check it out. Jeff
18tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
mr48chev

You need 53/54 Drums and possibly the whole backing plate assembly also.

I've done it on the 47/54 Chevy trucks several but have never done the swap on a Task Force truck.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #6
butchp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
You need 53/54 Drums and possibly the whole backing plate assembly also.

I've done it on the 47/54 Chevy trucks several but have never done the swap on a Task Force truck.
I have a set that I got for my truck.
butchp is offline   Reply With Quote