The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Damon23

The first project to tackle on new truck

On the way home from picking up the 82 my friend followed me and said the passenger side turn signal and brake light worked on and off. So I bought new 1157's and replaced them and they worked. Well tonight I noticed it stopped. After troubleshooting I see that the turn signal lever is loose cause if you hold up the lever the the lights work fine. Barely press down and the stop.

Is this common? Can it be tightened or is there something that has to be replaced? What is involved in replacing the switch? I can imagine it is wore with age.
Posted via Mobile Device
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
mopar346

Re: The first project to tackle on new truck

I am gonna ASSUME you have the style with a small chrome lever and not a multifunction switch with the wipers integrated into the switch.

The lever is held on to the switch with a screw and can get loose but it would be obvious cause it would be floppy, doesn't sound like your issue. I have seen and had luck cleaning the contacts for intermittent failures like you are talking about, but switches are cheap enough so why bother. In order to replace it you remove the steering wheel, the lock plate (clip, plate & spring), remove the lever, the flasher knob, unplug the wires below the dash about halfway down the steering column and then remove the 3 screws that hold the switch in and fish the wires out. Pretty basic, but I have been told I think everything is basic, my answer is cause it is. The most difficult part is fishing the wire back through the column but it usually isn't too tricky. You might tie a piece of nylon string to the old one before you pull it out and then to the new and use it to help you pull it back through, I have seen this work in some cases and cause more trouble in others.

I'm sure someone will chime in if I forgot a step.

NOTE: A steering wheel puller and a lock plate tool are you friends in this repair.

Good luck and have fun.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
INSIDIOUS '86

There's a plug about midway down the column underneath that can get loose sometimes. Mine did and blinkers and taillights died and stayed intermittent
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
mopar346

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS '86 View Post
There's a plug about midway down the column underneath that can get loose sometimes. Mine did and blinkers and taillights died and stayed intermittent
Posted via Mobile Device
Good point, that is the turn signal switch connector, 8 or 10 wires side by side flat usually black.

Sorry wrong picture, cant figure out how to remove it so I'll find the right one and post it shortly.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
mopar346

Here ya go, as mentioned about halfway down the column.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
Damon23

Cool. I'm a alarm tech by trade so fishing wire is no secret to me. I've got a puller so I guess I'll put it to work. And no, it is the single lever and it does not flop it just has enough play that it freezes the right side and keeps it dim until I lightly push it upward and then everything works. Thanks for the input everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote