The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
ORIGINAL68

steel wheels

i need to identify 40 steel wheels from late 40s 50s and early 60s some have beauty rings attached some have the center cap clips others are i believe smoothie( i am a newbe). is there anyone who can tell me what i have if i post pictures and measurements. some are in sets of 4 and others are singles. any help would be appreciated. once identified i can get them to a good home
ORIGINAL68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
NEWFISHER

Re: steel wheels

Post some pics and we should be able to identify
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Dan in Pasadena

Since you're local I'm REALLY interested as I'd love to have a set of 15" with 5x4.75 pattern and clips for '55-59 caps....if such a combo exist. Drop me a PM after you post pics with a price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
mr48chev

The first thing I'd do is go through them and cull them out. Any that are bent too bad to straighten, have lug bolt holes that are wallowed out or have center that have been torched out throw in the scrap bin or make stands out of them.
I drove 30 miles a couple of months ago to buy 16 inch 35 Ford wire wheels that someone had advertised on craigslist and one was good, one had the center torched out to clear a Jeep hub and one didn't match the others.

If you don't have one pick up a bolt pattern gauge. That will make it a lot easier to tell bolt patterns. And get a paint pen to mark the rims so you don't have to guess what they are.

This one is a bit spendy but it should be spot on accurate.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHEEL-BOLT-P...1ee546&vxp=mtr

Here is the whole listing for different styles http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

I've got a round one I picked up on Ebay last summer that is made of heavy aluminum and slips in my hip pocket for going to swap meets or where ever I might be looking for wheels.

15 and 16 inch six lug wheels that have the clips for the small hubcaps seem to be a commodity right now on here because we threw so many of them away years ago when we were putting shiny wheels on these old trucks.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote