The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
RANDAL

heater doesn't turn on

Hi Guys I am in need of some help. my heater does not turn on when I switch all the controls either way. I WD-40 them (before trying to move the switches) and they move but nothing is turning on I dont hear the blower motor kicking on or anything. Also it does not have AC if that helps any. I haven't looked into it since I'm not driving it but I'm getting it ready to go licence it this weekend and start driving it. So I would like to get it fixed. If you can help that will be great.

Thanks
RANDAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
psuedopimp

Re: heater doesn't turn on

check the plug on the blower motor under the hood. turn it on high and you should have close to 12 v at the plug
psuedopimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
RANDAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuedopimp View Post
check the plug on the blower motor under the hood. turn it on high and you should have close to 12 v at the plug
Thanks I will try that where is the plug located and does it have a fuse
Old 01-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
RANDAL

are you talking about the heater resistor
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
psuedopimp

Posted via Mobile Device

Hopefully the pic attached. There should be a fuse for it
Posted via Mobile Device

the pic is sideways
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
RANDAL

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device

Hopefully the pic attached. There should be a fuse for it
Posted via Mobile Device

the pic is sideways
Thanks is the orange cord attached to the plug
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
psuedopimp

yes sir! that was in the second pic that i couldn't get attached
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
RANDAL

Quote:
yes sir! that was in the second pic that i couldn't get attached
Awesome thanks man I will try that and see if that is the problem is that plug something that goes out often
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
psuedopimp

the plug shouldn't be bad...if there is juice then the motor is bad...no juice check the fuse and go from there but make sure the heater is turned on!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
RANDAL

Quote:
the plug shouldn't be bad...if there is juice then the motor is bad...no juice check the fuse and go from there but make sure the heater is turned on!
Alright I will try this. Thanks again for your help
Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
RANDAL

Okay Update went and pulled the plug from the motor and got power to the plug. I took a screw driver and hit the motor a few times to see if it would turn on it did but it wasn't blowing really hard but it was working. so I'm guessing the motor is bad. Also can I buy the motor at a parts store or do I half to order one online.

Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
psuedopimp

The part store should be able to order for you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
RANDAL

Quote:
The part store should be able to order for you
Posted via Mobile Device
Awesome will be ordering one andthanks agian for the info and help
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
psuedopimp

Of course when you take It off. You may find a rats nest is blocking it. You never know
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
RANDAL

Quote:
Of course when you take It off. You may find a rats nest is blocking it. You never know
Posted via Mobile Device
good to know I do know it has a ton of leaves and twigs from sitting for a few years outside maybe thats why it doesnt work so great I'll try that first to see if that fixes the problem
Old 01-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
Ole Beater

Besides the good 12 volt power supply these fans need a good ground to the casing since they are mounted to a plastic housing. Make sure that black wire has a good clean connection on both ends. You can test them by jumping a wire from - on the battery to the casing and then another to the positive of the battery to where the orange wire plugs in.
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
RANDAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Beater View Post
Besides the good 12 volt power supply these fans need a good ground to the casing since they are mounted to a plastic housing. Make sure that black wire has a good clean connection on both ends.
I will check the ground and clean it up as well thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #18
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

even tho the new fan motor will not come with the fan it not hard to take off I like the metal round fan cage over the plastic one.1 think i have noticed is the plain heater blower fan is slower then the AC heater fan.Like most people on a cold day or night we want are heat now.

But getting one that is for the AC instead of the heater only is way better.it blows very hard and sence you have 2 settings high and low I buy the AC blower motor over just the heater blower motor.In my 1972 3/4 ton truck Guy at the parts counter made a mistake and gave me 3 AC blower motors i needed 2 of them for AC cabs just amused that they where all the same part number boy was i wrong.I was in the mountains and had jack frost on the window just got done pulling my heater out and put new gaskets in and heater core and controller it was like 20 degrees ay 12 am i fired up the truck ran back in to the cabin to let the truck warm up.my friend told me to go wait truck this is after 5-9 mins of the truck running Opened up the door Man a heat blast it was up to 140 degrees I tuned off the engine and turn off the heater.

my friend came out and asked me what i was doing i told him the truck is warmed up he said now it will take another 5 mins for the truck to warm up i told him not to bother putting a coat on leave the tang top on.He though i was NUTTS.

Half way down the hill he looks at me and said are you trying to cook me like a bake potato laughed my ass off we dove home with the window down and let that thing blow on fast
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #19
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

even tho the new fan motor will not come with the fan it not hard to take off I like the metal round fan cage over the plastic one.1 think i have noticed is the plain heater blower fan is slower then the AC heater fan.Like most people on a cold day or night we want are heat now.

But getting one that is for the AC instead of the heater only is way better.it blows very hard and sence you have 2 settings high and low I buy the AC blower motor over just the heater blower motor.In my 1972 3/4 ton truck Guy at the parts counter made a mistake and gave me 3 AC blower motors i needed 2 of them for AC cabs just amused that they where all the same part number boy was i wrong.I was in the mountains and had jack frost on the window just got done pulling my heater out and put new gaskets in and heater core and controller it was like 20 degrees ay 12 am i fired up the truck ran back in to the cabin to let the truck warm up.my friend told me to go wait truck this is after 5-9 mins of the truck running Opened up the door Man a heat blast it was up to 140 degrees I tuned off the engine and turn off the heater.

my friend came out and asked me what i was doing i told him the truck is warmed up he said now it will take another 5 mins for the truck to warm up i told him not to bother putting a coat on leave the tang top on.He though i was NUTTS.

Half way down the hill he looks at me and said are you trying to cook me like a bake potato laughed my ass off we dove home with the window down and let that thing blow on fast

If you really want your heater to work good best off to take out the old heater core replace all the gaskets that are 35.00 to 40,00 heater core 40.00 and a blower motor and new hoses 13.00 trust me when it get cold and your kids or wife or girl friend in sitting in that cab they will love you for that heater.

if you have not rodded out your radiator lately might be a good idea they will help you get the best heat out of your truck.I love working on heaters on the old 1960-1972 easiest things to do take 2-3 hours but when your finished and it works you feel some love to your truck and some pride
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
RANDAL

Hey Thanks for the info I just have question with the ac motor. it will just hook up just like the non ac one? if so i'm all over that the fiance hates the cold so looks like when I get some money I'll be changing replacing all of the above first i'll change out the motor.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #21
truckster

Should be just the same. One wire (the big plug with the orange wire) goes to the terminal on the blower motor, and the black wire goes from one of the mounting screws to a good ground.
truckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #22
RANDAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Should be just the same. One wire (the big plug with the orange wire) goes to the terminal on the blower motor, and the black wire goes from one of the mounting screws to a good ground.
Awesome looks like i'll be getting the ac motor
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #23
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDAL View Post
Awesome looks like i'll be getting the ac motor
I hope you can get it working soon. It's supposed to get below zero this weekend.
truckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #24
RANDAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I hope you can get it working soon. It's supposed to get below zero this weekend.
I know i'm planning on doing it on saturday and getting it inspected the same day and go ice fishing on sunday with it we'll see