The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Burnsracing94

79 GMC engine rebuild

I am rebuilding the engine in my truck it is stock right now im wanting too add a little more power to it i have heads from my racecar im gonna use but was wondering what size cam you guys would recomend i am looking for something with a lopey idle
Burnsracing94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
77c10

Re: 79 GMC engine rebuild

Something around a 268 or 280 duration gives you a nice lope. You need to match your cam with your other components though. Call Comp or Lunati's tech line and give them all your info and they can recommend a cam for you.
77 C10, 6.0LS/4L80E, 3:73 12 bolt. Boss 338's 20" x 10" w/ 285/50/20 rear. 20" x 8.5" w/ 245/40/20 front. Vintage Air. Full Autometer gauges recessed in factory bezel (Thanks bigblock73!) Gm Storm Grey Metallic paint

"Cool ain't ever cheap and cheap ain't ever cool"
77c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Welcome to the forum Burnsracing94. You need to offer more info on your truck and its intended purpose. Haveing too much cam cam be just as bad as not enough if its not designed to perform in the intended power range.

You mention heads from your racecar, but don't offer any specs. Just like too much cam, you can have too much valve or ports that are flowed for a higher rpm than you might run in your truck.

If you have or had a race car you already know this. Help us to help you with more details.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
bilfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Welcome to the forum Burnsracing94. You need to offer more info on your truck and its intended purpose. Haveing too much cam cam be just as bad as not enough if its not designed to perform in the intended power range.

You mention heads from your racecar, but don't offer any specs. Just like too much cam, you can have too much valve or ports that are flowed for a higher rpm than you might run in your truck.

If you have or had a race car you already know this. Help us to help you with more details.
Agreed. More information is required to do this right. There so many factors to do this right, but the good thing it is not hard. First you need to decide what you use the vehicle for. In town cruising, pulling, racing, hauling, 4 wheeling, highway cruising, horsepower, torque etc...

Once you settle on a primary use, tranny, tire size and gear ration come into play. Figure out your primary RPM operating range and give this information to a cam company or a reputable engine builder and you can use their knowledge to assist with a cam choice.

Knowing what you want your vehicle to 'be' is the most important aspect of cam choice.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote