The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #1
dadsgreentruck

Need some advice on where to start...

Well, I've been putting this project off for 12 years while I've been waiting to move into a place with a garage big enough to do a complete restoration, but I guess it just ain't gonna happen any time soon and I can't put it off any more.

The poor old girl has been in my driveway for the last 12 years since I inherited her from my dad. She used to look real nice, but sun and northwest rain have taken their toll and I've got rust issues starting that have been creeping up that need to be dealt with. My goal is to repair or at least halt the rust progression and get an "OEM" quality paint job with the factory color (504) in a sun resistant polyurethane base/clear. Something I can spiff up once or twice a year with a clay and wax. Like my '96 has. It sits outside too and all I have to do is go over it with a clay bar and wax and it looks like new again.

Sadly, finance dictates that I do most of the work myself, so I'm wondering where to start.

I'm most concerned about the roof, but the doors need attention too and I don't think I'll be able to do it all at once. Then there's the water that pools in the glovebox after a hard rain...

Here's some pics:
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #2
dadsgreentruck

Re: Need some advice on where to start...

There's also a rust through hole down low on the drivers side door. The rest of the door seems solid though.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Longhorn 70

Q: How do you eat an elephant?
A: One bite at a time.

So set your goal and get a plan together. Get a financial plan to go with it. Multiply by 2.

Realize the plan will change in most cases.

If you are going to do a frame off total restoration, start with the basics.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Don't let the lack of a garage keep you from working on it. I live in an apartment complex without a garage, and while it isn't exactly ideal, I've made it work. I dont like the neighbor kids bugging me, and the wet concrete can be a drag, but there are worse things in life.

Invest in some good DeWalt cordless power tools, like a 18v drill and grinder. They also make a fluorescent light I've been eyeing that uses the same battery system. I also use the trunk of my other vehicle as sort of a tool chest, so I don't have to always go upstairs for tools.

Nice truck btw. Just start chipping away. Visit your local junk yards too
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Start with a total assesment.Figure out exactly what has to be done,what needs to be done and what you want to do.Then start determining which parts and their cost.At that point you should be able to come up with a plan.Just keep in mind that most builds cost the original budget plus anywhere from 50-150% more in both time and $$$.Your skill level and what you have in tools will also be factors.It's amazing how many nice rides are built with little to no money and a lot of desire.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Start with a total assesment.Figure out exactly what has to be done,what needs to be done and what you want to do.Then start determining which parts and their cost.At that point you should be able to come up with a plan.Just keep in mind that most builds cost the original budget plus anywhere from 50-150% more in both time and $$$.Your skill level and what you have in tools will also be factors.It's amazing how many nice rides are built with little to no money and a lot of desire.
Good advice. I guess I'd just caution against getting too overwhelmed with a dollar amount, because sometimes things can end up costing less than you might think, or you might take the build in a different direction.

When I first got my truck, I was hellbent on painting it. I've changed my mind, and decided to keep the patina look. This saves money for other stuff. I also have found the junk yard to me a treasure trove. I found an original grill a week ago for $37 that I was able to restore.

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Twisted78SS
Wide n'Low

Beyond all the great feedback from the rest of the forum, make sure you also head over to the Northwest forum and introduce yourself, Lots of us around here that live and breath these trucks. You won't have any trouble finding local expertise, parts, and encouragement..
Twisted78SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I yarded my truck out of a field in Marysville 6 years ago. I tore the front cilp off, and rebuilt the engine and transmission. I cleaned up the frame and firewall, and repaited all the chassis, and parts that would bolt to it. I got some cool ET 5 window slots, and some BFG rubber, and I tossed it all back together. I am enjoying the heck out of it. It took me 4 years to get it back on the road.

I never touched the paint or the rust. So it has all the blemishes from sitting in a Western Washington field for 15 years.

I did get overwhelmed at one point when it was completely torn apart and the engine was at the machine shop. I was ready to throw in the towel. The money was not there for much of anything. But patience prevailed and I hung on to it. Now I am ssssoooooooo glad I did.

I grew up down in Orting, not far from Puyallup. My dad still has his 1970 C10 that he bought back in 1973. So it's cool to drive my old heap down there and go on a cruise with him once in awile.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #9
dadsgreentruck

My dad bought the truck from the original owner back in 1981 or '82. We replaced one cab corner, re-painted the bed. I spent some time perking up the little 307 with a dual point distributor, some kind of camshaft, and a Carter 4bbl sitting on an Edelbrock Performer intake.

Here's a picture from shortly after I installed new side mirrors, but before I put the ralley wheels on.

Mechanically it's quite sound, and it drives and rides like a caddy. I have a list of things to do like front disk brakes, engine rebuild (I want to keep the 307 in it). But I think I should concentrate on the rust issues once the weather warms up. Body work isn't my best thing, but I don't mind sanding down to bare metal, cleaning up the surface rust and I can probably rig up a temporary spray booth in my garage to get primer on.
Attached Images