The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
ubtripn

Carb Question

I am considering using a quadrjet that has been sitting on a 327 under a hood for about 9 years. Ran great till the day the engine bent a rod. If I wanted to put that carb on my 68 350 do you think it will still work? Thx for the advice.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Carb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtripn View Post
I am considering using a quadrjet that has been sitting on a 327 under a hood for about 9 years. Ran great till the day the engine bent a rod. If I wanted to put that carb on my 68 350 do you think it will still work? Thx for the advice.
After sitting for that long all of the gas that had been in the float chamber has likely evaporated and left behind a dusty residue which will plug up the idle air passages, accelerator pump and the jets. Buy the rebuild kit and a bunch of carb cleaner, disassemble and clean it before you try to run fuel through it and you should be just fine.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
truckster

I agree, but I'd also replace the float. I prefer brass - you only replace them once.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
ubtripn

ah, great. That is the kind of knowledge I needed, thanks.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
ubtripn

I was going to soak the whole thing in fuel for a while then use carb cleaner but your ideas are much better. I do fear the rebuild kit a little, have heard it can be hard.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #6
GRX

Agree about good cleaning and Brass float.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
54blackhornet

I just went thru a Qjet ! Do your self a favor ! If you have not done one before, buy a good quality rebuild kit approved for ethanol and find someone who know's Qjets to rebuild it for you! I am not saying you can't do it but it is a little intimidating the first time.......jmo ...........also they need to be cooked in carb cleaner, not just from a spry can to get cleaned properly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
ubtripn

Sounds like a good plan, thanks.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quadrajets are great for 40 year old carbs. But that's also the problem... they're 40 year old carbs. The throttle shafts will probably need a rebush, along with what's been mentioned above.

I've rebuilt a lot of Qjets in my life... but now I would probably send it off to this guy to be done 100% correct: http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
GRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I just went thru a Qjet ! Do your self a favor ! If you have not done one before, buy a good quality rebuild kit approved for ethanol and find someone who know's Qjets to rebuild it for you! I am not saying you can't do it but it is a little intimidating the first time.......jmo ...........also they need to be cooked in carb cleaner, not just from a spry can to get cleaned properly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreement on all points. Cannot remember how many Qjet I have built over the decades. Great carbs when set up correctly. But they are not for the beginner. Especially when you start changing metering rods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Quadrajets are great for 40 year old carbs. But that's also the problem... they're 40 year old carbs. The throttle shafts will probably need a rebush, along with what's been mentioned above.

I've rebuilt a lot of Qjets in my life... but now I would probably send it off to this guy to be done 100% correct: http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/

Gary
True about them being old and needing work. Cliff is the best no doubt. Yet you'll have to wait a while since he's so busy. Last I read the turn around time was 3-4 months.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Yikes! I didn't realize he was that far behind.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote