The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
sqrlnts

Re: What retracts my detent (kickdown) cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
If you pull the cable all the way out without opening the carb it should quickly return to the position it started from. For most people that works well enough.
Mine does not. Its a new cable but I think I can improve the cable routing a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
1project2many gave good advise on the adjustment. The long slot provided on the kick down cable allows the pin from the carb to slide within until you come to near 3/4 to full throttle. This is the critical adjustment zone.

As for the cable retracting within itself... where the cable goes into the transmission it is hooked to a linkage about 3 to 4 inches long. This linkage is then connected to another piece that pivots. As this piece pivots, it is pushing on a spring loaded plunger that is functioning within the valve body.

To answer your question..... what retracts the cable? The spring loaded plunger within the valve body is the only retracting item. It doesn't have alot of tension so if your kick down cable has been kinked or crimped it may need replacing.

Also, the cable only moves back and forth about 3/4" to 1 ". This isn't far, but once you figure the length of the slot in the end of the cable, you'll get a couple inches of travel.

I hope this helps, Jim
Thanks Jim!
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote