The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
OregonNed

Electrical "surging"

Today I started my truck and as it sat and idled, I noticed the heater fan, (which was on high) would occasionally speed up considerably- with a corresponding jump from a steady 12 volts or so on the ammeter to a "jumpy" 14-15 volts. Then by itself it would slow down again. I was just wondering if these surges might indicate a faulty alternator or voltage regulator. thanks!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Coley

Re: Electrical "surging"

Sounds like a regulator to me.
If you have a spare regulator ground it somewhere near the existing mounted (suspect) one and simply unplug the harness from the suspect unit and plug it into the 'test' one.
If the suspect regulator is faulty you will immediately notice the difference with the (good) test unit.
(note: thats why its always good to find/get/use any spare electrical stuff when you get a chance....makes for quick, easy and cheap troubleshooting).
Good Luck, keep us posted.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
71swb4x4

I agree with Coley. When I read the title I thought regulator immediately, without reading anything else.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
gangforward
Hootis is as Hootis does...

Had problems similar to this, and replacing the regulator etc helped, but didn't solve the problem. Finally pulled out the DVM and tested a bunch of stuff, and found the 40 plus year old wiring was a big part of the problem. Was not able to do a complete rewire, but did replace most of it, and it not only solved the problem, it made a huge difference overall.

Good luck!
gangforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
OregonNed

Thanks for the advice. I haven't had the truck long. I bought it the first week of last December. Since then I haven't driven it much - been waiting for Oregon to get the title corrected for a typo on the VIN number so I can get it licensed. On the long drive home, I had issues with dimming lights and very slow wiper action. A loose / somewhat corroded positive battery connection immediately fixed all the lights, but didn't correct the wipers. It took some time to hear and see the heater fan fluctuation, so hopefully these two issues might be related. The grounds look good, but I haven't inspected too much of the wiring, however.
Posted via Mobile Device