The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
NuttinSpecial

Question ?'s for guys with bagged trucks

For you guys with trucks on air, how often do you drive it and how often or have you ever had any problems? Would you consider bags dependable? As in would you be comforatable takin it on a 4hr road trip to a show?

Been wantin to bag my 72 but all i ever here is how undependable they are and how many problems they give, but ive also heard that if your setup is done right there as dependable as springs.

Just wanna get some input strait from the mouths of bagged truck owners. Instead of people who only talk bad about them
Thanks for any input.
Posted via Mobile Device
NuttinSpecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: ?'s for guys with bagged trucks

take a peep under the rear of a semi-truck next time you find yourself behind one on the interstate ... those trucks are put thru much more than our 1/2 ton trucks along with a ton more miles per year. Air bags, like any other modification to a vehicle, are only as good as the install and the parts used.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Rochlow

I've been bagging trucks since the early 90s and never had a problem that was due to product. I did schafe one bag about 15 years ago because I didn't trim enough out of the spring pocket.

My last truck was driven to every show it went too. We did Carlisle all truck nationals every year and it's about 1200 miles round trip. Never once had a problem with that set up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
Desert.Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttinSpecial View Post
For you guys with trucks on air, how often do you drive it and how often or have you ever had any problems? Would you consider bags dependable? As in would you be comforatable takin it on a 4hr road trip to a show?

Been wantin to bag my 72 but all i ever here is how undependable they are and how many problems they give, but ive also heard that if your setup is done right there as dependable as springs.

Just wanna get some input strait from the mouths of bagged truck owners. Instead of people who only talk bad about them
Thanks for any input.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good question, I'm bringing this thread back to get some more answers. Pictures of what your talking about would make it that much better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Desert.Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
C/10 King

"Kev's Classic's" has bagged 2 of my rides, 3 years and 6 years ago, no problems what so ever with a great ride and I drive up and down the state to major truck shows.
Attached Images

1971 Short Fleet
1970 Jimmy Custom 2 WD "Golden Ticket"
1972 Blazer 2 WD "Retro Blaze"
C/10 King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Square_78

Agreed. The setup is only as reliable as the installation. Use quality parts, wire and install them properly and you wont have problems. Im new to air bags but I've had hydraulics in vehicles for years. My installs were always well done and never had ANY failures on my truck in the 5 years I drove it. My friends with similar equipment were always broken down and leaking because they did fast crappy installations and cut corners. Do it right the first time and you wont have reliability problems.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
orngsikL

always carry extra bags, fittings and airline
instagram -
@esso_c10
@projectpawpaw
orngsikL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
502ms

I agree with everyone above. My truck was being daily driven until I parked it to rip it apart for my LSx/T56 swap. Let me tell you, I have had no problems in the reliability or drivability of my system. In fact, it tempts me to bag all of my vehicles...old and new. Never get stuck on a steep driveway hump...go over taler speed bumps with ease, and enjoy cruising or spirited driving low. Lift or add pressure when the load is heavy. Plus the thrill factor when people see this or the first time in real life. Grown men and women lose their minds. Forget the kids...they love it! Can't go wrong if everything is done right.

PS: I drove my C10 400+ miles round trip to get a new step bed. When I got there, I old not remove my bed because the exhaust hangers were welded to the steel floor...so, I had to drive ith my new bed upside down on my truck. And yes, I was bagged. No issues.
Posted via Mobile Device