The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
robber grin

Question Fleetside Tailgate Tabs

Has anyone had any experience with complete removal of all the chain or "alignment" tabs on the fleetside gates? one is a bolt on and the other is welded...

Besides eliminating chains how would this affect usage?

I just picked up a tailgate that has the alignment tabs cut off and the chain tab holes smoothed... otherwise a pretty nice gate.

Thanks in advance
rg
robber grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
gabe2000

Re: Fleetside Tailgate Tabs

don't recall any bolt welded.
Posted via Mobile Device
gabe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
robber grin

The tab that is up by the top of the gate it goes into the stake pocket when the gate is closed and provides a link for the chains if it's down... welded on.

In the photo (I grabbed off the web) its seen right there above the circled area on the outer edge of the gate.

Mine were cut off so I either need to make new ones and weld them on or figure out plan b

thanks
rg
Attached Images

Last edited by robber grin; 01-28-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: changed picture & wording
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
robber grin

Here's a better shot of the tabs I'm refering too. Any help would be appreciated...
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

I don't think those are "alignment tabs", Robber. those are for attaching the chains to support the tailgate in the open position. Since they are made the way they are, there has to be relief holes in the bed to accept them when the tailgate is up. I hadn't thought about it 'til you brought it up, I've been trying to decide whether to cut mine off since I'm removing the chains.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
robber grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidelarry View Post
I don't think those are "alignment tabs", Robber. those are for attaching the chains to support the tailgate in the open position. Since they are made the way they are, there has to be relief holes in the bed to accept them when the tailgate is up. I hadn't thought about it 'til you brought it up, I've been trying to decide whether to cut mine off since I'm removing the chains.
Shellman's Bluff - Hey Larry, I was just down in Hinesville last week for father's 73rd birthday... took him over to Mudcat Charlies for the occasion.

I don't think it would hurt a thing with the tabs being cut off if you weren't running with the chains.

I have a beautiful set of chains (chrome/stainless?) and was going to run them... I have a near perfect GMC wide gate I was running until I picked up this Chevy gate last Sunday afternoon.

This Chevy tailgate came off a truck the owner had shaved the chains on at some point.

I've been looking at the Mar-K hidden latches and supports but for some reason sort of leaning hard towards the old chains still...

ponder'n...
rg
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
fleetsidelarry
Senior Car Nut

Mudcat Charlies is about 20 miles south of me, haven't been there in a while though. My daughter loves the place.

I think you need those brackets if you're going to run chains. If I can get mine off without cutting you're welcome to them but they appear to be spot welded from behind. I'll look in a bit
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
LDO

I removed the chains and the tabs. I would also like to remove that tab that is sticking out of the front of the tailgate too but waiting until i repaint...
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
robber grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetsidelarry View Post
Mudcat Charlies is about 20 miles south of me, haven't been there in a while though. My daughter loves the place.

I think you need those brackets if you're going to run chains. If I can get mine off without cutting you're welcome to them but they appear to be spot welded from behind. I'll look in a bit
My son does too... I was a fan of the old "Cherokee" back in the day.

If you can and don't mind that would be awesome. Easier than making them with the two opposing 90's so close together.

thanks
rg