The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
chevyfanaddict

Porterbuilt trailing arm conversion for SQUARE BODIES.... NEED INSTALLED PICS PLEASE!

Hey I would like to see some pics of the trailing arm conversion installed on somebodies square so I can see how low the truck will sit when aired out. I DONT NEED PICS OF THE ONES ON PORTERBUILTS WEB PAGE, I HAVE STARED AT THEM UNTIL MY EYES HAVE GONE BLURRY! I just need to see what they look like installed on a real customers truck and how low the truck is going to go. Pics with the bed on the tuck when aired out would be a plus. Im trying to decide whether or not I should get this setup ar just get the rear drop member instead. thanks
chevyfanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Pro Performance

Re: Porterbuilt trailing arm conversion for SQUARE BODIES.... NEED INSTALLED PICS PLE

This truck have an air-over-leaf setup, that is dropped all the way until the center of the axle hits the bed floor. This is the same amount of drop you will see with the trailing arm setup when aired out. Your limiting factor will be the bed floor. Up front is a stock crossmember, with tubular control arms.

The rake of the truck is due to the taller 315/35/20 (28.68 tall) tire in the back. A little shorter tire in the rear would level it out some, or a little taller in the front.

Hope this helps give you an idea.

Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
chevyfanaddict

Re: Porterbuilt trailing arm conversion for SQUARE BODIES.... NEED INSTALLED PICS PLE

That's not too bad but I was hoping to go slightly lower than that. Are those 20s? I'm running 20s on my truck right now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Pro Performance

Yes, that is a 20x10 in the rear. To get lower, you will have to cut the bed and do a drop member.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
chevyfanaddict

Ok I don't know of Porterbuilt had ever put out their trailing arm conversion with a mild rear drop member but I know there was talk about it. I think the problem was the trailing arms would contact the frame at some point though. Really don't want to cut a hole in the bed but I wouldn't mind moving the floor up a little.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyfanaddict View Post
Ok I don't know of Porterbuilt had ever put out their trailing arm conversion with a mild rear drop member but I know there was talk about it. I think the problem was the trailing arms would contact the frame at some point though. Really don't want to cut a hole in the bed but I wouldn't mind moving the floor up a little.
Posted via Mobile Device
You are correct. We were hoping that the trailing arms would work with the Extreme notch, but they contact the frame keeping it a few inches above the ground (sets real similar to the Dropmember Mild for the 63-72). We haven't gotten around to making an official "Dropmember Mild Trailing Arm Kit" for the squares, but have the necessary pieces to make it happen.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
chevyfanaddict

Hey Nate I've been trying to call multiple times to talk about some options with you but haven't been able to get through. I'll keep trying I guess.

Do you suppose there is a way to incorporate a built in recess into the frame notch for the trailing arms?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Hey Nate I've been trying to call multiple times to talk about some options with you but haven't been able to get through. I'll keep trying I guess.

Do you suppose there is a way to incorporate a built in recess into the frame notch for the trailing arms?
Posted via Mobile Device
You will need to leave a message in order to get a call back. If you left a message, you are on the "list" and will get a call back... promise! If you didn't leave a message we won't be calling you back! LOL

We won't be in the office tomorrow, but will be here Saturday to try and keep from getting too far behind on the call backs.

Nate

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
chevyfanaddict

Got it. Actually I did leave two messages and to be fair Dave (i think?) Did try to return my call so its just bad timing I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Got it. Actually I did leave two messages and to be fair Dave (i think?) Did try to return my call so its just bad timing I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Damn Dave!

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson