The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
rs74

Need sandblasting 101

Okay I need some info here. How small of a blaster can I get by with to do a frame, panels and such. I was just going to try to get by cheap since this isnt something I will use all the time otherwise I might spend a little more. I have been looking at a little 110lb unit from Harbor Freight. How big of a compressor do I need to keep up with the blaster.

What kind of media is the best to use or does it depend on if I am doing a frame or panels. I know a guy who does this but haven't called to see how much yet. I would kind of like to try this myself. Is there any kind of special tooling that I should be looking at getting. Also if you have your own setup then show us what you use.
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Need sandblasting 101

Doing panels is tricky.The media can build heat and warp them.I would use a sand for the frame but maybe something like the ground walnut shells for the panels and low pressure.Maybe someone has a better choice and can steer you.You will need lots of compressor for it.Probably a 5 hp 2 stage or better.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
Graham57a

You might want to check with your friend to see what he would charge. I started doing mine on my own and eventually gave up and had everything blasted. Most places will charge around 200 for a frame. That's pretty fair if you consider how long it will take you to clean sand out of your ears and scalp when you're done.
Graham57a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
rs74

Thanks. I was thinking that doing panels were going to be iffy. I also heard of using ground up corn cobs or something like that. There are so many different types of media that I don't know what is supposed to be used on what. Sand, glass beads, soda, etc.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham57a View Post
You might want to check with your friend to see what he would charge. I started doing mine on my own and eventually gave up and had everything blasted. Most places will charge around 200 for a frame. That's pretty fair if you consider how long it will take you to clean sand out of your ears and scalp when you're done.
Yeah, I am going to call him and weigh my options. Just doing a little research before hand right now. Testing the waters so to speak.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Graham57a

If you're on a tight budget then I can understand. I used a Speed Blaster to start my frame. It took forever but if you are patient guy then it might do the trick for you. I just bought 50lb bags of play sand from Lowes and it worked fine. If you go this route make sure to get fine sand cause the course stuff will plug up the blaster very easily and make for a very slow day. Hope this helps
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham57a View Post
If you're on a tight budget then I can understand. I used a Speed Blaster to start my frame. It took forever but if you are patient guy then it might do the trick for you. I just bought 50lb bags of play sand from Lowes and it worked fine. If you go this route make sure to get fine sand cause the course stuff will plug up the blaster very easily and make for a very slow day. Hope this helps

you my friend must be a very patient fella too blast your frame with a spot blaster

I use crushed glass in my puny blasting box. I must say it works alot better than sand but i can get it local dirt cheap $5 50# bag. the guy that did my frame uses the same stuff from the same place only he uses a more coarse grit
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #8
truckster

I used aluminum oxide powder in my Harbor Freight blaster to do the rear end. That pretty much cured me of anything but really small jobs, but I'm a perfectionist and every nook and cranny had to be 100% clean.

Whatever you do, make sure you use a good respirator.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
Graham57a

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
you my friend must be a very patient fella too blast your frame with a spot blaster

I use crushed glass in my puny blasting box. I must say it works alot better than sand but i can get it local dirt cheap $5 50# bag. the guy that did my frame uses the same stuff from the same place only he uses a more coarse grit
I did about 1/4 of one frame rail and ran out of patience. After a few choice words it was on a trailer headed to the sand blaster.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #10
rs74

Well, maybe I will be money ahead having it done. By the time I buy the equipment and everything it might be close to having someone do it. Of course I need to see how much to have it done first.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
cdowns

one shot wonders dont need to invest in pricy equipment that can b used for a lifetime
i had hi quality equipment that i bought with my tax refunds over the years and i put it to good use with the many projects i built over years
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

True that not subbing it out would be cheaper (plus you won't have
to transporting it anywhere) but, cdowns is right that you will end
up owning a blaster if you do it yourself.

Don't forget the option of scrape and scrub...you have to do it
even if you're going to blast it.

If you do opt for DIY blasting, DO NOT use silica sand...it's toxic.

SUBSCRIBED

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...

Last edited by ETsC10; 02-01-2013 at 05:38 PM.
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
MP&C

.....in addition, much of the sand media products will also contain caustic salts, that may start the rusting process right under your fresh new paint as their residue is left behind.

To clarify, sandblasting "heat" does not cause the warping. Media that is too aggressive and applied using too much pressure will act to peen or displace the metal surface, just as if you are hitting the panel with millions of tiny hammers. It is this action that causes the heat as a side effect. By the time you see any appreciable heat buildup, the warping has long already occurred. You can sandblast and warp with no heat buildup at all.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
rs74

I talked to the local guy where I live and he said $135/hr was the rate. He said maybe two hours to do a bed. I don't think I am going to do the whole truck on this particular build. Just the bed, rear frame while it is exposed and the door jams. I think I can live with $400-500 to do all that.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
72chevynoob

I built my own sandblaster for around $45. It works well with our single stage 3-cylinder compressor. I am almost done the frame behind the cab on my lwb, and only have around 4 hours into it. It only takes around 55 lbs of sand at a time, otherwise I would already be done. I made a write up on how to make your own sandblaster in the homemade shop tools thread.
Posted via Mobile Device