The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
ivanuf2

Rear disk brakes vs. Hydraulic Booster?

I have a disk/drum set up. I am debating to either swap the rear drums for disk brakes or change the booster to a hydraulic setup. I just what better braking feel the trucks stops fine, just need to stand on the pedal hard for it to do it. Any input from you guys is welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device
ivanuf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
ivanuf2

Re: Rear disk brakes vs. Hydraulic Booster?

The truck is a cruiser, but I do cruise at 80+ mph a lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

If by 'hydraulic' you mran hydroboost, that is the way to go.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
SS Tim

If you don't have power brakes a booster will make a big difference.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
ivanuf2

Yes I mean Hydroboost. Also I do have a vacuum assist brake booster on the truck now.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
jocko

if you have to stand on the pedal, then I believe you may have an issue with your current vacuum booster. So, adding rear disks might not help. If you are considering a swap to hydro, now would be the time since you might need a new booster anyway.

Have you tested your vac booster to see if it is functioning? Cheapest route, however, would be to replace your vac booster if it is bad. Bottom line, should not need to stand on any braking system that is vac (or hydro) boosted. If you do, that's an indication somethin aint quite right.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
ivanuf2

Ok, not literally stand on the pedal, Is just harder than any modern brake system. Let me then rephrase the question:

1. From a power brake disk/drum to a power brake disk/disk conversion
a. What should be my expectation as far as pedal pressure feel?
b. What will be the improvement in braking?
2. From a power brake disk/drum to a hydroboost disk/drum
a.What should be my expectation as far as pedal pressure feel?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Longhorn 70

brakes stop the wheels. They don't necessarily stop the truck.
I thought about the same swap in the rear. Rear disk would be GREAT in water or extreme braking conditions. since 70% of the stopping is done in the front on an unloaded vehicle, I don't know how much rear disc would buy you.

Also the vacuum booster on my truck make the brakes easy enough to press to lockup. I don't know if hydraboost would buy anything.

If you have to press hard to do get the wheels to lock, you may have other issues. I know I did. There was a stuck proportioning valve or dist valve because it was drum/drum at the time and only the rear were working. Once that was taken care of, all 4 would lock if I stood on the brakes. It then became a choice of tires that gripped better to stop. Have you also considered an adjustable proportioning valve? You could tune the brakes to what you haul and your particular truck.

I am only saying this so you will have another view. If you are set on one or the other, I'd do the boost and get all 4 brakes tuned so they at least stop the tire.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanuf2 View Post
Ok, not literally stand on the pedal, Is just harder than any modern brake system. Let me then rephrase the question:

1. From a power brake disk/drum to a power brake disk/disk conversion
a. What should be my expectation as far as pedal pressure feel?
2. From a power brake disk/drum to a hydroboost disk/drum
a.What should be my expectation as far as pedal pressure feel?
thx for clarifying - here's some thoughts on your questions -

for #1 - your braking performance will improve but your pedal effort should remain somewhat unchanged if you keep the same booster

for #2 - your braking performance will be unchanged, but your pedal effort MAY change - and I don't know which direction.

Here's what concerns me - you mentioned that your current setup with vac booster requires more pedal effort than a modern braking system. Older vac boosted systems generally tend to be much more touchy (as in, LESS pedal effort) than newer systems. So, if your current setup requires more pedal effort than, say, a 2000's era 1/2 ton chevy - I still suspect you may have an issue in your current system that is not functioning properly.

In other words, since it sounds like your brakes work fine but just require more pedal effort than you'd like - it really sounds like you don't need more braking performance (i.e. disks in the rear), it sounds like you need to either fix or change your boosting system. If you haven't yet, might be a good idea to test your booster, the lighter pedal effort you seek might already be at your fingertips. Or, well, your tippy toes, technically. Could be as simple as a collapsed vac hose, faulty check valve, or a bad booster - all of which are much less expensive than a hydroboost system.

But, if your current vac booster checks all good - then I'm a bit stumped. If your system is a "new" system, could it perhaps be the pushrod location on the brake pedal? Higher up the pedal means more leverage/less pedal effort. Might be something else to check.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
ivanuf2

That about cover's it. I will trouble shoot the parts that I have know and post my findings, thanks for the guidance.