The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
rs74

Is there a how to for changing a headliner.

I am thining about getting the ol girl back out on the road and the head liner is sagging pretty bad. Before I start trying to take the trim off I would like to see if there is a link or something to give me a little guidance.
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
rs74

Re: Is there a how to for changing a headliner.

I think the problem I will run into is the trim at the rear of the cab that meets the headliner.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

Have a look at which trim pieces overhang the ones underneath. Take those off first

Loosen the screws on the front and back long metal pieces, make sure you have the sunvisors off

I think you might have to take the trim pieces off where your shoulder belt attaches to the rear cab piller, if your truck has those

Then start removing the screws that you loosened.

Biggest thing, an extra set of hands helps getting the cab light out of the back of the headliner....make sure you dont crease it!!

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
rs74

Thanks! I just went out and took a look at it. Doesn't look too bad. I was thinking that some of the trim was held on by clips instead of screws. Looks pretty straight forward after looking at it.

Now I just need to see if it is going to be cheaper to buy one or try to have someone to put new fabric on it.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
Now I just need to see if it is going to be cheaper to buy one or try to have someone to put new fabric on it.
Do it yourself, its super easy.

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Low87
been here longer than Liz

It's easy, but I believe Jeff's site has a write-up.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low87 View Post
It's easy, but I believe Jeff's site has a write-up.
Sorry for my ignorance but who is Jeff?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
Low87
been here longer than Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
Sorry for my ignorance but who is Jeff?
One of us old guys. He's bigblock73 on here.

I was wrong anyways, it's a write up on an overhead console.
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/garage_interior.htm

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
chengny

I wrote this a few years ago right after I restored the headliner in my old truck (it came out real nice).

The headliner on my 1986 GMC Sierra Classic looks like factory. Here's how I did it:

1. The molded backing board/shell (don't quote me on nomenclature) is the key to this whole repair and it cannot be in the vehicle to do this job properly. It has to come out of the truck and brought inside. Remove the pieces that support the headliner. Just do it - don't be overwhelmed. Label the parts with Post-Its or a Sharpie and put all the fasteners back in the appropriate holes for the duration of the job. Gently twist, bend, turn (or whatever is required) the complete headliner and get it out of the truck and into the garage or cellar. Be prepared to look up at the steel ceiling while driving for awhile.

2. Peel the headliner fabric carefully away from the shell. If any pieces of the shell start to come off with the fabric separate them with a butter knife and set them aside. If you can't locate a perfect shell at the junkyard or don't want to pay for a new one you can glue them back into the original with adhesive cement.

3. Step back and see what you have to work with. If you are lucky the fabric will have cleanly separated from the fiberglass shell. If not that is why you so carefully saved those little chunks.

4.Get a shop-vac and a brand new toilet brush (toilet brush - not a wire brush). Get down on your hands and knees and start firmly but gently (does that make sense?) removing all of the failed adhesive. It's kind of like when your wife exfoliates her face. Don't worry if some of the shell carries away - it is actually better to get down to a new surface. After you are done scrubbing, use the soft brush attachment for the shop-vac and get all the old dried up glue off. Then get your toilet brush back in hand and do it all over again, and again until you have a new surface to work with. Bottom line is - there can't be anything left on the fiberglass. If any debris is left behind, the bond between the new headliner and the fiberglass will fail quickly.

5. Go to the Home Depot and get a couple of cans of spray-on polyurethane and 4 cans of 3M heavy duty adhesive. (Oh yeah and a paint roller with a nice soft, fluffy cartridge)

6. Spray the newly cleaned shell with a couple of heavy coats of the poly and let it dry overnight. In the AM you should find that you have a nice hard/firm/sturdy shell to work with. More importantly, there will be a good stable surface for the adhesive to float on and also allow the headliner material to smooth out better.

7. I forgot to mention that on the way home from Home Depot you should have gone to JoAnn Fabrics and asked one of the nice ladies there to direct you to the headliner material. They'll know exactly what you're talking about. You also should have measured your shell or brought your old headliner fabric with you in a plastic bag to be sure you get enough. They at JA Fabrics will set you up a beautiful piece of foam backed headliner that is thick enough to hide any gouges you may have made during the cleaning process. My interior is black but they have a large selection of colors.

8. Back down on your hands and knees and lay the new material out over the shell. Smooth it out and trim to fit (leaving about two inches over on all sides.

9. You can guess the rest - read the instructions on the 3M can. I believe it will say to spray both surfaces and wait 30 minutes before joining. Use all 4 cans - trust me! It will look like a winter wonderland, but that's correct.

10. Have an assistant help you when it's time to lay the fabric back down on the shell (the 3M Heavy Duty Adhesive is wicked sticky and will snag the material in the wrong places if you try to lay it down yourself). Get back down on your H&K's again and, while gently tugging where needed, set the material onto the shell. When its layed out with no wrinkles, get the new paint roller that I mentioned earlier and start rolling the fabric onto the shell.

11. Let it dry, do the final trimming of excess fabric around the edges and domelight/visor hinge openings, and then go hang in back up in the truck.

One note; depending on the contours of your shell it's a good idea to place some folded up towels under certain areas of the shell so that when you roll the glue into the interface you can press down firmly.

This method will work good; and you will not be able to take your eyes off of the wonderful job you did (and keep showing people till they are sick of hearing about it). It will probably last for 20 years.

Last edited by chengny; 01-31-2013 at 06:56 PM.
chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
1967gm4x4

the only thing that will be a little complicated but still not bad is you will have to drill the holes in the headliner for the trim screws.
1985 gmc high sierra 2500 4x4 400 1972 ford f250 4x4 390.Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
1967gm4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote