The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
57ToyBox

Restoration Preperation

If you have done one truck resto our a dozen. We'd like to hear your ideas on a complete, organized system of restoring a truck.
57ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
57ToyBox

Re: Restoration Preperation

My start to a resto project was to find that Project Truck that met my budget and that also met my ability.
But before I found that truck I needed that place that I could do the work uninterested. What I mean is, I don't have to pull the project out during the week and then bring it back in on weekends.
This place had to have room to walk around the truck and even more room for parts storage.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
GM-power

I would work all mechanical kinks first then move onto appearance. I try and follow that but sometimes it can be simple stuff that wont take long. Try not to loose your mind when for the life of you can't figure out why it wont work. Biggest thing is patience, take your time due it right and use good quality parts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
king-918

I would say sit down form a plan on paper. because I ran by the seat of my pants and turned a 800 dollar project into a 15,000 dollar project
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
77ChevySharkBite

I agree 100% with GM-power find all mechanical because being the age of our trucks not much electrical to it other than fuses, and wires. To me GM-power couldn't have said it better stay calm and if you start getting mad, angry 10 million emotions take a break post here, we're all our own family in different states and countries sometimes, but yeah just remember you don't have to have the biggest and baddest and most expensive parts there are still good quality parts that work just as good.

Like king-918 said sit down think out what you want of course things will change along the way but get you a general idea of what you want and how you want to do your truck.

Great advice guys!!

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

when I did my truck I started by getting and installing new fenders inner fenders then the doors once I got the truck like that ( I was still using it at that point ) I went and bought a crate motor and installed that. Somewhere in there the trans failed so that was rebuilt.. I did the complete front end and shocks all around I found a good bed and swapped that on then I took her off the road pulled the new motor and trans stripped it and did the body work and paint. She is now a show truck and winner

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
bilfman

No restoration should be without a sharpie, many ziplock bags and a digital camera. These 3 things have saved my a$$ many times.

The next best thing is this site, the amount of knowledge here is incredible. Even a 30 year wrencher like me has pulled many many tips, ideas and guidance from the crew on this site.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
57ToyBox

Great advice guys great tips.
I think the first thing I'm gonna do is get my 87 GMC 4x4 running and mobile.
It would be good to be able to pull it out of the garage once in a while simply to be able to sweep the floor.
So once I get her running I'll do up the brake system.
I expect this step will take a while, cause I'll want to paint the axles and frame rails before I install new brake lines

Simply typing this on the forum helps to put it into perspective and makes it NOT so over whelming.

Making a plan
Writing it down
Starting a list of parts required (keeping in mind, this list will grow as you go)
Starting a build thread on this forum and take lots of pictures. Helps in the build process and keeps your forum friends happy.
Bagging your reusable small parts and fasteners and storing them in ONE central location.
Keeping a log, or documenting your progress and next goals in a book or on your 67-72chevytrucks com build thread help to keep the build organized and keep your progress motivation up. Cause we're gonna keep encouraging you to keep updating your thread.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #9
jrblanke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilfman View Post
No restoration should be without a sharpie, many ziplock bags and a digital camera. These 3 things have saved my a$$ many times.

The next best thing is this site, the amount of knowledge here is incredible. Even a 30 year wrencher like me has pulled many many tips, ideas and guidance from the crew on this site.

I want to second Bilfman's advice! I take pictures before I start on something, not knowing what I am taking pictures of or what I may need the pictures for.
jrblanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
mopar346

Restore means to return to original condition

Access what you have to start with and what is missing or needs to be replaced
Decide on the final vision or theme of the vehicle AND STAY ON COURSE!
Determine your equipment available and needs
Determine what you will farm out
Disassemble taking many pictures, documenting, bagging and organizing every nut and bolt - buy stock in rubbermaid and ziplock
Start with a bare frame, blast, prep, prime and coat
Repeat with every single part you reinstall, replace any wear part
Return to a rolling chassis in the order that you had to take it apart
-suspension and steering
-axles
-brakes
-fuel system
Build and install the power train including engine accessories
Prep the body/sheetmetal
-rust repair/metal work
-prep
-prime
-block
-block
-block
-block again
-paint
-clear
-cut
-buff
Assemble body to the frame
Install heater/AC box
Wire
Install interior
Install steering column
Install rubber and glass
Install chrome
Install bumpers
Install final wheels and tires
put some gas in it
Fire it up

Drive the pi$$ out of it.

You may need a different order at times, such as some people like to cut and buff after the final assemble before chrome. Or maybe you need to put the steering column in earlier in order to move it around.

Always have alternate projects going so when one is held up due to paint curing or metal treatment to mature you aren't sitting on your thumbs.

http://havanahotrods.com/
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote