The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #26
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Cost of paint job

My truck was finished 3 years ago this past Nov. I had a local guy do it. He welded all the trim holes up filled the gas nozzle hole in and painted it wet sanded it installed the windows and I couldn't have been happier with his work. All for the price of $2800.00! That's right $2800.00 and until I pulled in his drive way I had never meet him.
I took everything off the truck. I payed $300.00 to have it pen striped and the guy came to my house and did it in the garage.
The front bumper was a extra $150.00 to get it frenched around the tag area while it was off the truck.

I went from this:

To this:

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 AM   #27
ryanroo

Re: Cost of paint job

I'm not sure what the total will be, but with me doing the patch work, the body guy doing the mud and bodywork, i was quoted $1800~ for just the cab, inside and out. that included the primer/paint for the entire truck. i will know more when i have the rest of it done and add up the cost.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
My truck was finished 3 years ago this past Nov. I had a local guy do it. He welded all the trim holes up filled the gas nozzle hole in and painted it wet sanded it installed the windows and I couldn't have been happier with his work. All for the price of $2800.00! That's right $2800.00 and until I pulled in his drive way I had never meet him.
I took everything off the truck. I payed $300.00 to have it pen striped and the guy came to my house and did it in the garage.
The front bumper was a extra $150.00 to get it frenched around the tag area while it was off the truck.

I went from this:

To this:

Cool looking truck. Why is the bed cover designed like that?

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #29
Ole Greenie

As a few have described already, it depends on several factors:

1) Where you live - The cost of a paint job in NJ will be higher for the same quality than in the south.

2) Extent of prepwork needed and what they had to work with

3) How long you are willing to wait

4) How much shopping you do

Here in Augusta, GA, I found a couple really good shops. One was Kendrick and the other was Riverfront. After talking with both owners, it became apparent that I wanted Denny at Riverfront to do my truck. Really humble guy and a truck lover too. My truck required minimal prepwork (no welding or replacement metal) but it was in the shop about 3.5 months. He worked it in amongst the insurance claims.

I took all the stuff off the truck...the emblems, grill, lights, handles, etc. So what he did was remove the glass and remove the bed. He took it all the way down to the metal and smoothed out a few dings. He also welded up the antennae hole and the mirror holes on the doors. After all the prepwork was completed, he painted it the original color and put it all back together.

What did I pay? With all the new lenses, handles, gaskets, hardware, chains, etc and his work I made out. I paid less than $4500 for the whole deal. In California this job would have been over $8k.

It may be a good thing to look into driving/transporting your truck south to save a couple thousand.
My Mistress
70 CST Short/Step
LS 5.3/4L65E
New motor install Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=667773
Ole Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #30
EZ4U2C

I did mine myself. the paint cost about $ 1000.00 for everything. Then it took me and my son about 80 hours to wetsand and about 20 hours to buff. We think it turned out really good. She is slick and we saved a good a mount of money. I was told it looks like a $5000.00 paint job.
Attached Images

God loved me so much he gave me John 3:16

Buy American and bring our jobs back home.

Trust what you believe in and believe in what you trust.

Don't blame the gun, Blame the person who made you use it!

1970 swb
2002 Harley Davidson Road King Classic
2004 Dodge 4x4
EZ4U2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #31
Dale_Brown

Here’s a cheap way to go.

Do you have a vocational school or prison with a body shop nearby? A quick phone call could save you 1000's.

These trucks are loved by all and the chance to have students work on something made of Detroit steel is priceless. Work is supervised by experienced teachers.

Also, you may be able to enroll at your vo-tech and do it yourself while learning a new skill. I WOULD not recommend enrolling at your local prison .

No labor just material cost and most of that is donated by local dealers. That’s what we have here in Maryland.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dale_Brown; 02-06-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: SP
Dale_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #32
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Cost of paint job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
Cool looking truck. Why is the bed cover designed like that?
Well I guess because that's the way they make them. They are a popular brand around NC and SC. I bought it years ago before most people fixed these trucks up. I had it put on back in the late 80's.
The guy can make tool boxes gas tanks all kinds of stuff into them. Mine also has the 42 gallon gas tank under it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #33
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Well I guess because that's the way they make them. They are a popular brand around NC and SC. I bought it years ago before most people fixed these trucks up. I had it put on back in the late 80's.
The guy can make tool boxes gas tanks all kinds of stuff into them. Mine also has the 42 gallon gas tank under it.
I have never seen one like that. I thought maybe it had a particular purpose. Like I have seen similar sorts on veterinary trucks that used to come out to the farm when I was growing up.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote