The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
rs74

What is involved with taking off the doghouse and cab.

If I want to take off the doghouse what all is involved. Can I just disconnect the trans lines and radiator hoses and leave the radiator intact with the doghouse. How many bolts hold it on all together.

As far as the cab goes is it just he four cab mounts, steering column and linkage? I would like to get down to the bare frame so I can start cleaning it up for paint and to do some metal work on the cab.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
83GMCK2500

Re: What is involved with taking off the doghouse and cab.

Doghouse.... fan shroud? This thing?

I don't remember what dictates one-piece or two-piece design... What I do is unbolt anything attached to it A/C line, battery cable, upper radiator hose, etc... Then I unbolt it from the upper radiator support, unbolt it from the core support...4 bolts total, 2 bolts on top, 2 on bottom. I can then slide it back along the fan towards the engine, remove the radiator, then slide it forward towards core support and with radiator removed it should clear the fan and slide up.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
83GMCK2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
As far as the cab goes is it just he four cab mounts, steering column and linkage? I would like to get down to the bare frame so I can start cleaning it up for paint and to do some metal work on the cab.
The 4 mounts, steering column, shift linkage for trans and transfer case (if 4x4), there should be a ground strap from body to frame or engine to body (or both). Also the wiring for the rear lamps/fuel tanks. Should be able to find that loom, I think it ducks under the brake booster and heads back...oh YEAH, brake lines...gotta remove those from master cylinder. Vacuum booster line to manifold. Vacuum lines to the reserve canisters/wipers.

What stage is your truck at now? What all do you have removed so far?

Post pics, might was well start a build/rebuild thread, then we can follow along and help.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
79Betty

On mine when i bought my cab (no ac 4 speed 4x4) undid inner fenders wiring harness fenders t-shifters and took hood off, 4 bottom bolts and wallah! Fenders has about 10 ish bolts each. Core support i took off my trans lines no ac lines 2 main bolts on bottom undid the wiring (hardest part here) the vacuum canister and pulled it out. I left the radiator on it since i was just puttin it back on. Hope this helps ya.
Posted via Mobile Device
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
king-918

What is a dog house
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
rs74

I mean the whole front end of the truck. Fenders, core support,etc. Trying to pull it one piece. I know there are two bolts on the bottom rear of the fenders then two on top rear of fenders by the cowl then the two front lower body mounts. Is there anything else before pulling the front clip. Then how about the cab.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
79Betty

When someone says a dog house they mean the core support outer fenders and inner fenders. Occasionally they will include the hood but not always
Posted via Mobile Device
79Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
rs74

You guys posted while I was typing and doing a few other things. I didn't see your comments. I was brought up calling the whole front end a doghouse. That is what most people around here know it as. Sorry.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
The 4 mounts, steering column, shift linkage for trans and transfer case (if 4x4), there should be a ground strap from body to frame or engine to body (or both). Also the wiring for the rear lamps/fuel tanks. Should be able to find that loom, I think it ducks under the brake booster and heads back...oh YEAH, brake lines...gotta remove those from master cylinder. Vacuum booster line to manifold. Vacuum lines to the reserve canisters/wipers.

What stage is your truck at now? What all do you have removed so far?

Post pics, might was well start a build/rebuild thread, then we can follow along and help.
I might just have to start a build thread. I didn't intend for this to go this far getting the truck back on the road. It has been sitting for about the last 6-8 years or so in my shed. I have had it about 14 years and is time to get it going again. It has just seemed that every turn I take with it something else pops up. So I am looking ahead for what I am going to have to do.

Right now I am redoing all the brakes all the way around. Next is pulling the eng/trans to redo the heads and reseal the eng/trans. Bed,cab and front end needs pulled to blast the frame and repair some rust in the bed and cab. I really didn't want to be doing all this work to it as funds are quite limited. It is just one thing after another. If I am going to do this it isn't going to be a full blown restoration. Just do the things that need to be done and in the end try to get it painted and back on the road.

My initial plans were after getting it road worthy was new wheels, lower it, paint and in the end I want either a LS or 6.0L Vortec in it. Now all that is taking a back seat for now. I know I have alot of threads going asking questions but I like to know ahead of time what I have to look forward to. I hope this answers some questions for some of you. Thanks guys I really appreciate everything.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
Duster

It is just as easy to disassemble the front end as it is to take it off in one piece. If you are doing it by yourself, it's the only way to do it. If you are going to go through the trouble of taking the cab off to clean, you might as well take the fenders apart too so you can repaint and clean.

The cab is a different story. If you have a lift... get after it. If you don't, I would think long and hard about how you are first going to get it off, and second how you are going to get it back on.

Unbolt cab bolts, steering column, linkage, unbolt the master cylinder from the booster, unhook harness at all points, and lift slowly.

I am probably underestimating your abilities, and I apologize if I offend.
Attached Images

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster View Post
It is just as easy to disassemble the front end as it is to take it off in one piece. If you are doing it by yourself, it's the only way to do it. If you are going to go through the trouble of taking the cab off to clean, you might as well take the fenders apart too so you can repaint and clean.

The cab is a different story. If you have a lift... get after it. If you don't, I would think long and hard about how you are first going to get it off, and second how you are going to get it back on.

Unbolt cab bolts, steering column, linkage, unbolt the master cylinder from the booster, unhook harness at all points, and lift slowly.

I am probably underestimating your abilities, and I apologize if I offend.
No offense taken. I just didn't know how many bolts there were to take it off. I will probably take it to my paint guy and he has a big A frame on wheels with a winch on it that we can use.
I am quite capable of doing it but I have just never got to pull a body off before. I do all my own wrenching and have worked in a repair shop before. Just something new to me.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 02-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #12
Duster

Yeah, just 4 big long bolts, you can sit your master on the side of the motor with the lines connected.
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote