The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
72chevk20

ive thrown in the towel

72 K20 w/ 350 stock everything. I am at the end of my knowledge. Here Is the readers digest version with all the facts. Running fine for months. Voltage regulator popped. Replaced and drove. Wanted to change coil just because, and points while I'm at it. Both replaced, adjusted points, ran beautiful. Test drive, fuel pump blew. Ran until float bowl went dry. Replaced fuel pump. Flooded while cranking, pulled all spark plugs and cranked for 5 seconds. Let sit overnight and installed new spark plugs. Cranked, no start. Pulled plug, checked spark, good. Turned motor by hand with finger over number 1 to find TDC, pulled cap, timing good. I can see fuel spraying when I cycle throttle. Disconnected fuel line and sprayed ether down the carb and I dont even get a cough, yet spark is there and timing is good. Compression on all 8 is right at 160. I'm out of ideas and I feel retarded that I got beat by a Chevy 350.
Posted via Mobile Device
72chevk20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Longhorn 70

Re: ive thrown in the towel

My 70 did somthing similar. EVERYTHING worked and was in spec. Mr Tach had flaked out and when connected it would somehow make the spark week enough to not work.

Start simple. Go back to TDC and make sure the rotor tip points to the #1 wire tower
Make sure exhaust is getting out....don't fall for no banana in your tailpipe.
Crank it for a few...... look for wet plugs.

Look also for cam timimg....Pull a valve cover and make sure at TDC both valves are closed.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

Welcome to the forum!

Try not to get to frustrated on this.
Have you rechecked the points? The new ones could have malfunctioned, I have seen new points fall apart shortly after running them or even while adjusting them.

Make sure you are on compression stroke TDC, and then work backwards from there.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
DorianB

I agree with going back to basics.. Recheck spark plug connections and also make sure they are going to the correct locations!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
cleszkie

You have fuel and spark, so my guess is that your timing is off or your valves are not adjusted properly. Did you pull and reinstall the distributor between it running and not wanting to run? Did you do any valve adjustments? What initial timing are you using? SBC won't like 0 degrees at TDC.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
BrianV

Remove the points dist and replace with an HEI dist best money you will ever spend then as everyone else said start from scratch and you should find the problem
BrianV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
ole dollor

first let me say welcome to the forum from Texas, then double check your coil and see if you might have crossed the pos. and neg. wires. i have seen this before...worth a look.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #8
AusTx68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianv View Post
remove the points dist and replace with an hei dist best money you will ever spend then as everyone else said start from scratch and you should find the problem
x2!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
70blackfish

x3

hei is your friend
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #10
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Check timing, timing chain may have jumped a tooth, change dizzy to HEI (best thing you will ever do), check new coil for spark capacity. If not changing dizy, check pooints, capacitor, and inside of dizzy cap for fouling.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
72chevk20

Checked everything 3 plus times. Points still good, coil still good, wires not crossed, timing still good. Going to pull the valve covers off today. But remember it ran great until the fuel pump went
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Longhorn 70

Hmmm...Do you still have fuel pressure? Oil pressure whilst cranking is good? Rotor turns in the dist?

HA! I said go to basics and now I just can't reach that straw.....

The fuel pump excentric is on the camshaft. Could this be related to timing chain? I can't think of a way that could affect cam timing....in this wacky world we live in almost anything is possible. Verify that valve timing is good and it hasn't jumped a few teeth....

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
cdowns

has truck set outside for awhile with gascap off r u sure u have good gas and not a wetyered down mixture that will not ignite
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevk20 View Post
Checked everything 3 plus times. Points still good, coil still good, wires not crossed, timing still good. Going to pull the valve covers off today. But remember it ran great until the fuel pump went
Posted via Mobile Device
You say timing is good. What is it set at? initial timing? full advance timing? You have points, did you check the dwell?

Not sure how you found TDC by sticking your finger in the hole and rotating by hand. Unless you had your finger way in the hole and felt the piston. Remove #1 plug, and stick finger over the sparkplug hole. Then have someone bump engine with the starter. That will rotate engine hard enough to blow air past your finger with a whoosh. Then pull distributor cap to see if rotor is pointed in the general area of the #1 terminal. This will at least get you close to TDC where you can then fine tune.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

To go along with what Cdowns is saying, since this happened after the fuel pump change
are you sure you are not still flooding the plugs. maybe you could disconnect the fuel line from the pump and hold down the accelerator until all the gas was out of the carb and then try some starting fluid. If you're getting a good hot spark and the truck ran fine until the fuel pump change. it almost has to be a fuel issue. Even if you had jumped time and the timing chain was sloppy you should still get some firing in the cylinders. A 160 PSI compression reading would tend to discount that and valve timing being out would lower the compression.

If the balancer outer ring has slipped and you have reset the timing since the fuel pump change it might explain the no start, but it still seems that it would misfire.

Another caution as you know you may have diluted the oil with the flooding gasoline so you may need to do an oil change before you drive it much after you get it running.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
70STOVEBOLT

Is the spark at the plug blue/white or orange? It needs to be blue/white, especially if there is a flooding issue. I agree with electronic ignition being the way to go, but with that said, if points are adjusted properly and the wear parts are all replaced, it should run just as good. I replaced my points with a Pertronix Ignitor and I believe it is better than HEI, at least for a stock engine. Let the flaming begin...

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #17
C5Phil

::
Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Check timing, timing chain may have jumped a tooth, change dizzy to HEI (best thing you will ever do), check new coil for spark capacity. If not changing dizy, check pooints, capacitor, and inside of dizzy cap for fouling.
C5Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevk20 View Post
72 K20 w/ 350 stock everything. I am at the end of my knowledge. Here Is the readers digest version with all the facts. Running fine for months. Voltage regulator popped. Replaced and drove. Wanted to change coil just because, and points while I'm at it. Both replaced, adjusted points, ran beautiful. Test drive, fuel pump blew. Ran until float bowl went dry. Replaced fuel pump. Flooded while cranking, pulled all spark plugs and cranked for 5 seconds. Let sit overnight and installed new spark plugs. Cranked, no start. Pulled plug, checked spark, good. Turned motor by hand with finger over number 1 to find TDC, pulled cap, timing good. I can see fuel spraying when I cycle throttle. Disconnected fuel line and sprayed ether down the carb and I dont even get a cough, yet spark is there and timing is good. Compression on all 8 is right at 160. I'm out of ideas and I feel retarded that I got beat by a Chevy 350.
Posted via Mobile Device
You mentioned "fuel pump blew - Ran until float bowl went dry".
Did you confirm no fuel before you put the new pump on? The one SBC I owned that had the timing chain skip a tooth was an all stock configured 350. I started it, got out to brush snow off the windows while it was running fine on cold idle. While brushing off the car it simply stopped. Lucky me the shop I worked at was two blocks away. I pushed it up there, put on a new timing chain, and ran it ran fine again.

Long story short, my money is on the timing chain. If it skipped a tooth, you'll get a spark, just at the wrong time. Since you can't get it running, you have no way of knowing if the timing is right.

Since you've confirmed everyting else, it has to be the timing chain. Since you're working on a K20, that is an easy-peasy in-truck swap.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
72chevk20

Gary, that's what I did. Finger not in the hole but over and yes, rotor lines up dead on.
So I found today that my new coil was bad. Showed good resistance on primary and secondary but very weak spark. Put new coil in and got good hot spark. Got it to cough a few times with starting fluid so I connected the fuel line back up, but again, still no start.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I may be off, but I seem to recall reading that there were different fuel pumps that used a slightly different length rod. If you had one with the longer rod then replaced it with one that needed the shorter one, that could explain the flooding? With the crap parts the box store parts places sell now a days, I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel pump is bad either...
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #21
bigguy69
dazed and confused

I have seen some plugs gas foul. Maybe switch out to a new set and see what it does. Especially since you said the coil was bad. Cheap place to start good luck on getting it running
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
LynnJr

Pull all 8 plugs out of the engine and crank it over several times to blow out all that unburned fuel.Next use a cigarette lighter the burners on your gas stove or a propane torch to burn all the fuel off those spark plugs.
Let them cool off or when you go to install them they may pop on you from all the vapors still in the motor.
When you go to restart it don't pump the throttle.
Lynn
LynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #23
72chevk20

Jesse, i replaced the pushrod at the same time as the pump and they both measured the same length and diameter. I will change the plugs again, they are cheap enough.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #24
OhioDan

Question Re: ive thrown in the towel

Ya say ya run it until the carb ran dry? Needle valve in carb might be stuck? Are ya getting gas thru the carb? Tap on top of carb with small hammer (Imean small) or a screwdriver handle while trying to start. See if that helps?

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
Littletony

What is the gap on the plugs?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" ..............Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Littletony is offline   Reply With Quote