The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
naphtali5725

Re: My new project 86 Silverado

Thanks insidious for the comments

I'll need to have tinted windows anyway, because I am sensitive to the light and it gives me migraines.

As far as the engine, the Olds 455 big block makes tremendous torque with minimal modifications. A bone stock 455 with 10:1 compression and stock camshaft makes 350HP and up close to 450 ft lbs of torque at low rpm, so it's the perfect engine for a heavy truck (plus it was all free)

I want to lower it too, but I do not want to cut the frame for a C notch or anything like that, because I want to keep the frame intact. I'd like a nice coil over suspension front/rear though

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Operations: Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Uphold Democracy

Last edited by naphtali5725; 02-10-2013 at 05:46 AM. Reason: added info, corrected dumba$$ grammar
naphtali5725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
naphtali5725

new project 86 Silverado build

Talked to my buddy X-cabsquarebody yesterday from c10forum... he gave me lots of advice regarding the procedures for Z'ing the frame, and the steps for lowering the rear of the truck... that guy knows his stuff, and is a good friend because he offered to assist me in any way I needed, and I appreciate it big time.

I don't know which way i'll go yet, so i'm just going to concentrate on rebuilding the front suspension since all of it is worn out or rotten because it sat for 13 years (all ball joints, upper/lower control arm bushings, tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm) have perished.

I have a 12 bolt rear I got from X-cab with 2 inch drop shackles.. not sure if i'll swap out the 10 until i pull the cover and check the gear ratio to determine what would be best for my engine/tranny (TH 400) combo

March 5th i'll be taking the engine to have it machined and assembled. Once complete should put out 450+ HP, and gobs of torque which the Olds 455's are known for.

So that's it for now... stay tuned.

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Operations: Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Uphold Democracy
naphtali5725 is offline   Reply With Quote