The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
WadmalawJoe

Instrument lights fuse size

Anybody have problems with the instrument lights fuse?
It looks like it says 2A under it, but mine keeps popping and 2 amp seems awful small for all those light bulbs. The labeled picture on here shows like a 30 amp fuse in that same location! A 2 amp fuse has a wire in it that's about the thickness of a hair...lol
What else runs off that fuse? Well, whats supposed to run off it I mean to ask, we all know how PO's have added and changed all kinds of things.

The only electrical work I have done is replaced the fuse to the battery gauge and got it working. Also I updated to HEI, but that wire is out in the engine bay and so was the battery gauge fuse wire.

I hardly drive it at night, just twice in the past two weeks and it was working fine when I first got it. I heard the fuse pop one time and that was in the day time with no lights on, so something else must be hooked into it.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Instrument lights fuse size

Joe you should post this stuff in the electrical forum. By the time most guys look at this page your thread will be gone to the second page. On the electrical forum it will stay on the top page for a few days.
I was in North Charleston over New Years and would have liked to get over to see your truck but we weren't down long enough to allow me the spare time.

Anyway here is the diagram of the dash light wiring and it starts at the head light switch and runs to the fuse panel via the dark green wire in the bottom right of the diagram, where it feeds the panel lights fuse which I think is a 3 amp fuse. From there it goes to the cluster gauge plug as a small gray wire which you mention and it feeds the dash lights and also the heater panel light and the glove box light if you have one.

If you have other stuff wired into the fuse circuit it could blow the fuse when it exceeds the fuse load just as you stated. If it has a short to ground then it will also blow but since it doesn't blow immediately I would guess that the first theory is most likely. Try a 3 amp fuse and look for other loads on the circuit.

Name:  Copy of Cab-2-web PANEL LIGHTS 2.jpg
Views: 4396
Size:  105.3 KB

This shows the panel lights gray wire where it goes to the dash via pin 12 on the idiot light dash plug and on the gauge cluster it goes to the no. 8 pin.

Name:  Copy of Cab-1web.jpg
Views: 3174
Size:  114.9 KB

Here is a fuse panel that shows the pnl lts fuse as a 3amp fuse. top right.

Name:  fusebox.jpg
Views: 10048
Size:  91.1 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
ole dollor

dash light fuse should be a least a 5 amp fuse, if no short than it should be ok.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
WadmalawJoe

Thanks!

I was going to post in the electrical part, but like you said it may sit there for a few days. The general question area gets a lot of action. Its amazing how fast the info moves.

My heater panel light bulb is missing and it takes a different size bulb. Does anybody know what it is? Its different then the other dash lights, the socket is different.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote