The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Olive1970

Question 3ott issues?

Yesterday I drove the parts truck to clean off some of the crap that was on it from sitting for years. Before driving I sprayed some PB blaster around the linkage area where it comes out of the firewall. The truck seems to have no issue finding reverse or 1st gear, but it seems almost impossible to find 2nd or 3rd gear? Does this seem more like a column issue or something in the linkages to the trans?

Slowly looking for my next 67-72 truck
Olive1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
motorcritter

Re: 3ott issues?

Make sure it's (the linkage on the column) is adjusted properly, before condemning anything. Easy way- loosen the shifter rods at the column arms, put transmission neutral, center the shifter arms (neutral position), tighten everything down, lube anything that moves and check operation. If there's still problems, the column may need overhauled- there's bushings that can wear and cause sloppy and erroneous engagement.

Or put in a T5, like I'm doing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Olive1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcritter View Post
Make sure it's (the linkage on the column) is adjusted properly, before condemning anything. Easy way- loosen the shifter rods at the column arms, put transmission neutral, center the shifter arms (neutral position), tighten everything down, lube anything that moves and check operation. If there's still problems, the column may need overhauled- there's bushings that can wear and cause sloppy and erroneous engagement.

Or put in a T5, like I'm doing.
Posted via Mobile Device
So you are talking about loosening the rods where they come out of the column? Are these bushings toward the base of the column inside the cab?

Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
motorcritter

If it's an early (67-72) the rods are adjustable on the steering column end, on the later 'square' models, the adjustment is at the tranmission end of the rods. A 3/16"-7/32" rod, i.e., a drill bit, is used to center the shifter arms on the steering column. There are holes in the shifter arms that facilitate this, once you've got the arms pinned together, make sure that the transmission is in neutral and snug down the shifter rod ends. The older ones are easier- everything is on top. The newer ones, well, time to get down and dirty.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Olive1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcritter View Post
If it's an early (67-72) the rods are adjustable on the steering column end, on the later 'square' models, the adjustment is at the tranmission end of the rods. A 3/16"-7/32" rod, i.e., a drill bit, is used to center the shifter arms on the steering column. There are holes in the shifter arms that facilitate this, once you've got the arms pinned together, make sure that the transmission is in neutral and snug down the shifter rod ends. The older ones are easier- everything is on top. The newer ones, well, time to get down and dirty.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
This one is on a 1972. From what I understand you must be referring to where the rods hook up on the engine side of the firewall? Thats where I need to get the trans in neutral, unhook rods, lube, and center the fork while in neutral?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

This should help.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=215307
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
Olive1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Definitely printing that off at work tomorrow, thanks!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Russ.W.

Is it only whilst the engine is running? Can you run through the gears OK with the engine off?

I had this problem with a car of mine a while ago. Would shift fine when not running, but on the go and I had to use both hands to get in in gear. Problem was a loose bracket.

Not sure how a C10 3OTT is set-up but my old car had a bracket that the linkages attached to, which was bolted to the bellhousing or the frame (can't remember). All it did was keep the linkages aligned properly. The bolt kept coming loose, causing too much slop in the linkage rods. Tightened it up with some loc-tite, and never had the problem again.

Trying to looking my factory assembly manual for a layout to see if it has something similar, but you'll probably have the problem fixed by the time I find anything in that book. What a jumbled mess.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Olive1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ.W. View Post
Is it only whilst the engine is running? Can you run through the gears OK with the engine off?

I had this problem with a car of mine a while ago. Would shift fine when not running, but on the go and I had to use both hands to get in in gear. Problem was a loose bracket.

Not sure how a C10 3OTT is set-up but my old car had a bracket that the linkages attached to, which was bolted to the bellhousing or the frame (can't remember). All it did was keep the linkages aligned properly. The bolt kept coming loose, causing too much slop in the linkage rods. Tightened it up with some loc-tite, and never had the problem again.

Trying to looking my factory assembly manual for a layout to see if it has something similar, but you'll probably have the problem fixed by the time I find anything in that book. What a jumbled mess.
The truck to seems to have issues whether it is running or not. It sure sounds like there is an issue with alignment on my particular truck. Who knows what else that may come up when I start fixing the alignment on the column.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

As mentioned above the first thing is to make sure you have the rubber bushings on the transmission linkage arms top and bottom and they're not wallowed out or loose (bottom pic from bobschevytrucks.com). Make the column arm adjustments then the link arm adjustment with the tranny in neutral position. Also, make sure the arms are not criss crossed or binding when you shift. Have someone shift while you watch the links. If they're rubbing you can rotate them slightly to get clearance.

I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Olive1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
As mentioned above the first thing is to make sure you have the rubber bushings on the transmission linkage arms top and bottom and they're not wallowed out or loose (bottom pic from bobschevytrucks.com). Make the column arm adjustments then the link arm adjustment with the tranny in neutral position. Also, make sure the arms are not criss crossed or binding when you shift. Have someone shift while you watch the links. If they're rubbing you can rotate them slightly to get clearance.

These bushings are at the top of the column under the steering wheel, correct?

Old 02-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive1970 View Post
These bushings are at the top of the column under the steering wheel, correct?
No, they go on the shift arms in the engine compartment. On a manual three speed you two on the top and there's also two on the transmission shift arms. Years ago I had to make some from metal and rubber tubing I got from hardware store. You can also check in the "vendors" site and call to see if any of them carry them.

Sorry don't have a pic of the shift levers with them installed.

Here's a newer kind on this thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=483060

Forgot to add this thread that shows the levers with grommets installed: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=256851
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...

Last edited by 68gmsee; 02-12-2013 at 10:45 PM.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Olive1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
No, they go on the shift arms in the engine compartment. On a manual three speed you two on the top and there's also two on the transmission shift arms. Years ago I had to make some from metal and rubber tubing I got from hardware store. You can also check in the "vendors" site and call to see if any of them carry them.

Sorry don't have a pic of the shift levers with them installed.

Here's a newer kind on this thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=483060

Forgot to add this thread that shows the levers with grommets installed: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=256851
I got it now, took a look at those few threads and a closer look at the truck tonight. Should have it going again by the weekend!