The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
WadmalawJoe

My turn with the weird noise

I can tell when I get close to 55 because all of a sudden I hear a very light tic tic tic noise. At first I thought it was my speedometer or its cable. The sound seemed to be coming from that area. I pulled the cable off and lubed it up good and while it was off I drove the truck to see if I would hear the noise. Sure enough I still heard the noise.
Then today I drove it into town, about 25 miles one way. Hearing the noise whenever I went 55. I was in town for about a hour or so. Then drove back and the noise was gone. It has been raining a good bit here lately. The only thing I can figure is whatever makes that noise got wet and quit making noise.
I will be driving it again tomorrow and curious to hear if the noise comes back.
I have been hearing this noise for 2-3 weeks. I had my exhaust replaced and went with a quieter stock exhaust. Now I hear noises! I thought maybe it was a exhaust manifold leak, but if I rev up the rpms while its in park it doesn't make the noise, only when in motion.

any ideas?

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I知 back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona
Re: My turn with the weird noise

Possible U joint in the drive shaft? The speedometer cable could actually be radiating the sound from the transmission housing up thru and into your gauge unit.

Just a thought....

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
WadmalawJoe

Maybe, but I don't think so. Removing the speedometer cable didn't remove the sound. (I drove it a couple miles down the highway and back without it in)
Anybody who sits in the passenger side says it sounds like its coming from in front of me (the driver).

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I知 back!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
AirSpeed

Wish I could help but I have no answers, only sympathy as I dealt with the same phenomenon yesterday, mine also healed itself. I can't stand strange noises! I had a weired noise a couple weeks ago I thought was under my hood, a clanging noise every time I hit a bump, that one turned out to be a D ring and mount I bought to install in my bed, it was in my glove box. Good luck finding that noise!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
Longhorn 70

Turn up the radio and see if it goes away.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
WadmalawJoe

That's funny about the d ring in the glove box.
I thought it was maybe the emergency brake cable tapping on the frame, so I put some leftover rubber fuel line over the cable anywhere it could bounce and hit something and make noise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn 70 View Post
Turn up the radio and see if it goes away.
Or you could haul your wife around with you, bring up some past issue that upsets her and you won't hear any noises at all from your truck! This technique also works on trains and planes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsriv2 View Post
Possible U joint in the drive shaft? The speedometer cable could actually be radiating the sound from the transmission housing up thru and into your gauge unit.

Just a thought....
Drivelines spin pretty fast (about 4x faster than your wheels), if a ujoint makes noise its usually at parking lot speeds.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
AirSpeed

I just had a thought, this happened in a Blazer I used to have. It would make a similar sound at speed, it turned out to be the PCV valve (the valve on the valve cover if I'm using the correct term), the little steel ball in the valve would rattle as I let off the gas and more vacuum was produced. I ended up replacing my alternator thinking it had a bad bearing. Once I realised it was the valve I got used to the sound. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

You younger folk's hearing is too good if you can hear a check ball rattling in the pvc valve inside the engine compartment. Sometimes my wife hears a noise in my trucks and I tell her if I can't hear it, it ain't bad enough to be fixed. After four years in the military working around jet engines I miss out on all that good stuff.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
You younger folk's hearing is too good if you can hear a check ball rattling in the pvc valve inside the engine compartment. Sometimes my wife hears a noise in my trucks and I tell her if I can't hear it, it ain't bad enough to be fixed. After four years in the military working around jet engines I miss out on all that good stuff.
I wish I was one of those "younger folk"! I'm 50 and spent a lot of time in front of loud rock concerts when I was younger. It's funny, people around me were constantly telling me I would be deaf by now, I can hear better than most of them still! I think it was all the workouts my ears got at those concerts, it was like weight lifting for my ears! I bet my eardrums look like Arnold Swarteneger (how ever he spells it) in his younger years, rippling with muscles! At least that's what I tell myself!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #12
WadmalawJoe

Noise was back today. However, like yesterday it did not make the noise coming back. There wasn't any rain when I drove back. So its not the wetness that quiets the noise. It must be the heat, as in engine heat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #13
GOPAPA

Most likely isnt it,,,, but have you checked your oil level ? maybe the oil level is too low to build adequate pressure to allow the lifters to operate properly. just another thought..
Old 02-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
WadmalawJoe

I thought maybe lifter/ oil related as well. My oil level is good though. Oil pressure reads high when cold but then levels out to 3/4 or so once warm and at highway speed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #15
c10monkey

Two things in my mind...

One.... new exhaust systems will sometimes make a ticking noise until it gets worn In. The ticking is from the metal expanding and contracting because everything is new and tight.

Second.... unhook the cable at the trans and see if it goes away....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #16
TexasJimmy

If front disk, maybe a loose brake pad?

Or

If you have beauty rings, they can make ticking sounds. Mine sure do at times.

Just some ideas.
Posted via Mobile Device

71' Blazer CST
84' GMC Jimmy-SOLD
2008 Suburban LTZ
TexasJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #17
BlackedOut67shorty

Smile Re: My turn with the weird noise

Could be the fan hitting the shroud. At least thats what it sounds like to me.
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #18
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadmalawJoe View Post
Noise was back today. However, like yesterday it did not make the noise coming back. There wasn't any rain when I drove back. So its not the wetness that quiets the noise. It must be the heat, as in engine heat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Is it a southbound noise or a northbound noise?
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
WadmalawJoe

Thanks everyone!

I can't figure out how to put more than one quote in a reply can anyone tell me how you do that?

To C10 Monkey, I don't think you would be able to hear exhaust expanding at 55 and I completely removed the cable and still got the noise.

To TexasJimmy, I have drum brakes all the way around, but I do have beauty rings on the tires. How were your's making a noise?

To BlackedOut67Shorty, The fan shroud is an interesting theory. It is deformed, it has chunks missing out of it and I have the dreaded flex fan..... Maybe I should remove the shroud and see if I get the noise still.
I plan on switching to a dual electric fan set up.

and last but not least Truckster, It is a northbound noise! I agree with the truck, I don't like going north either!

Thanks again for everyone's input and ideas!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #20
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadmalawJoe View Post
........I can't figure out how to put more than one quote in a reply can anyone tell me how you do that?.....!
Click on the quotation mark (") icon next to the "quote" icon on each post you want to reply to. Icon turns red. When you are done click on "post reply" and they will all appear on your reply. You can then edit them to include your response like I did yours above.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
chopnchaneled

One time i had a c 30 with a ticking noise for several miles, then it would go away untill
the next time the engine was cool and it came back.

Turned out that i had a small crack in one of the exhaust manifolds and when the engine was cold it would make a ticking noise and when it warmed up the manifold would expand and close the crack up.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #22
WadmalawJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Click on the quotation mark (") icon next to the "quote" icon on each post you want to reply to. Icon turns red. When you are done click on "post reply" and they will all appear on your reply. You can then edit them to include your response like I did yours above.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopnchaneled View Post
One time i had a c 30 with a ticking noise for several miles, then it would go away untill
the next time the engine was cool and it came back.

Turned out that i had a small crack in one of the exhaust manifolds and when the engine was cold it would make a ticking noise and when it warmed up the manifold would expand and close the crack up.

Hope this helps.
I think it kind of sounds like a manifold exhaust leak, but I thought you would hear it even while your sitting still and revving it. Mine doesn't make the noise at all until I'm in the 50 MPH range, then goes away in the 60's.
Posted via Mobile Device