The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Reyals Bemus

12 bolt spider gears binding, help please!

Long story short, I need to replace the spider gears in my open diff '64 12 bolt because I am converting from 17 spline to 30 spline axles. I bought a kit made by Superior that includes both side gears, spider gears, and thrust washers to go behind each gear. However, when I have it all installed in the carrier, the gears are virtually binding against each other. If I stick an axle in and try to turn the diff, it takes some effort and the gears are very notchy because there is zero play between them. Its like the thrust washers are too thick, especially the conical ones behind the spider gears. Without them in place however, the gears seem too loose.

I should note that the original spider gears did NOT have thrust washers behind them, but the side gears did.

Now I'm pretty confident this 12 bolt hadn't been abused. The whole truck is in good shape, and everything looked really good when I opened up the diff. The main ring & pinion backlash is perfect, the teeth on everything looked perfect, etc etc. So I don't think the carrier is warped or anything like that.

Anybody have any ideas about this? How are the spider gears supposed to feel? What kind of play is acceptable?
Reyals Bemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Reyals Bemus

Re: 12 bolt spider gears binding, help please!

UPDATE: I called Superior and they said that it is good that the gears are tight. The guy said its better they be too tight than too loose. Does this sound right to you guys?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It's hard to say for sure without having hands on, but I would agree that a little on the tight side would be okay....but not too tight. Maybe try assembling the diff with just one thrust washer and see how it feels. I would probably call another diff parts tech person to get another opinion.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Reyals Bemus

Thanks Captainfab!

So I called up Moser and Summit tech lines just to see what they thought. They both said it was perfectly normal for the gears to be very tight upon initial installation. Hopefully they're right and my diff won't eat itself down the road!

Thanks.