The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Pmarti69

72 GMC SWB Code name MERLIN

Hello all,

I have been a car freak for my entire life and have built a few cars, from a 73 Camaro, 69 Camaro and now I have picked this 72 GMC in good shape but needs alittle work. I first saw this truck about two years ago afte a search on Google for front roll pans and kept it to work on a c10 like it. I found this one on ebay last week, so I bought it .

I will be taking the cab off to put a complete floor pan, since it was patched and I DONT like it, but you cant tell unless you look hard at it.
Attached Images

Pmarti69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: 72 GMC SWB Code name MERLIN

and to the boards from NC!!!!.....What other plans do you have for your project?? What's the specs on the engine? How's the interior?

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Pmarti69

After a complete check of the truck,. I found that the suspension was left alone and the floor pan has patch work on it. I will be removing the cab and send for media blasting and the new complete AMD floor pan installed, as weel as the cab corners and rockers. The rockers were replaced at some time, but since the floor will be removed, put new rockers in , all AMD metal. The suspension will be upgraded to new control arms and the rear frame c-notched. The rear-end will be upgraded to new gears and bearings.
The engine is a ZZ4 GM crate engine with serpentine belt system and A/C. I will change the intake on it , but nothing else on the motor since it runs good.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Pmarti69

Well I have got the 69 to house from storage. The frame had work done on it before I bought the truck. This one will be JUDAS and looking to all porter built under it with no bags and a 402 BBC. The last pic is of Merlin and Judas side by side in the garage. I need some advice on whether to replace the firewall or repair it., Ant ideas.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Pmarti69

Update on my money pit, lmao. I got some work done on Merlin and this is where I am at now. I got the TH400 I wanted, but had to hear the CFO (wife) all week about, so I stay outside. The rearend it something else, since the gear oil was not what I expected it to be and showed since it was whining. I got the trailing arm crossmember from PORTERBUILT and this thing is awesome and well built. Just waiting on the sanderson header I ordered before taking the engine out, so I can test fit, before the frame goes to get dip and then POR15.
Attached Images

TH400 with Stage two kit
Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Tinkermc

wait til you have Judas and Merlin back in the garage completed. This sounds like a nice build and you are not alone with a tough CFO. The pic of the rear looks like it had water in it. I'll keep watching
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Pmarti69

I havent worked on Merlin for over two months now, but I started back up on him. Here where Im at and Im glad I started again. I work it up and running by next summer. Here is pic of storage with all my extra parts I have been collecting since I havent work on MERLIN. Only if the wife knew, LMAO.
Attached Images

TH400 with Stage two kit
Old 09-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
Tinkermc

glad to see you working again you have two very nice projects and I want 2 see them both completed, since I'm anold fart you need to get busy, and don't get slack on the pics either.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
No ID

could you give me the wheel model and sizes of the wheels and tires if you know them, i too came across this truck earlier today while looking at roll pans and was dying to get some info on it.
No ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
Pmarti69

Quote:
Originally Posted by No ID View Post
could you give me the wheel model and sizes of the wheels and tires if you know them, i too came across this truck earlier today while looking at roll pans and was dying to get some info on it.
I will as soon as I can get to my storage. Thanks for looking
TH400 with Stage two kit
Old 10-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Pmarti69

Well I sent the cab out for media blasting and it turned out great. I am glad I decide to strip the paint, and is amazing what you find under the nice paint. Here are the pictures of me picking it up today.
Attached Images

TH400 with Stage two kit
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
Pmarti69

Well finally got to get some work done after awhile. I got some Porterbuilt parts i ordered and I tell Nate and guys have some high quality products. I have started the test fit of the all the parts I have before the frame and braces go out for blasting, I chose the remove the cross braces and make sure they get cleaned well and replace with grade 8 hardware. After they come back I will epoxy prime and paint all frame parts, rearend frame black.
Attached Images

TH400 with Stage two kit
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
Pmarti69

Updated the the post. I got the frame parts back from the blaster and getting ready to epoxy prime them in my garage booth. I dont know if I have to many parts hanging close to each for painting. Any thoughts.

I am waiting on the the weather to heat up before I paint.
Attached Images

TH400 with Stage two kit