The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Reyals Bemus

'73-87 center link geometry

So I'm swapping '73-87 front suspension components into my '64 C10. I have the bigger '73-87 center link to go in with the later model tie rods and everything.

My question is- I noticed when I laid the '73-87 center link alongside my original center link, the '73-87 link is about 1" shorter overall. When I install it onto my pitman and idler arms, both now point more towards each other instead of being parallel like before. Is this a problem? Do the '73-87 C10s have different/enhanced steering geometry?

Last edited by Reyals Bemus; 02-16-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Reyals Bemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
luvbowties

Question Re: '73-87 center link geometry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyals Bemus View Post
So I'm swapping '73-87 front suspension components into my '64 C10. I have the bigger '73-87 center link to go in with the later model tie rods and everything.

My question is- I noticed when I laid the '73-87 center link alongside my original center link, the '73-87 link is about 1" shorter overall. When I install it onto my pitman and idler arms, both now point more towards each other instead of being parallel like before. Is this a problem? Do the '73-87 C10s have different/enhanced steering geometry?
Does it not appear that just lengthening your tie rods(adjustment) might solve your dilemna?
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
Reyals Bemus

Re: '73-87 center link geometry

Well the problem is in the fact that the pitman arm and idler arm are no longer parallel with each other. With the center link centered in relation to the frame rails, the pitman arm is pointed more toward the passenger side of the truck. This will surely screw with turning radius I would think?
Reyals Bemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: '73-87 center link geometry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyals Bemus View Post
Well the problem is in the fact that the pitman arm and idler arm are no longer parallel with each other. With the center link centered in relation to the frame rails, the pitman arm is pointed more toward the passenger side of the truck. This will surely screw with turning radius I would think?
Sounds like you are good so far. Assuming(?) you have adapted a newer ps box to your frame, you need to consider the box is now repositioned(spaced) ~3/4-inch further 'out' than before. This difference has to now be compensated for by lengthening the tie rod on that side--which will move the pitman arm back to pointing straight ahead, and parallel to idler arm.
This is just one step that is to be expected in these steering upgrades.
s
Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: '73-87 center link geometry

At the end of your upgrading, you will be doing the following: duct-taping your st. wheel housing to column with it in the center of its left-right turning extremes, letting pitman arm go where it may. Next, you will adjust your tie rods to link into pitman arm and idler arm. This will give you a straight-ahead toe-in adjustment. Last, you will adjust toe-in to proper specs--like 1/8 inch toed in, which SHOULD be done by equal adjustment of left and right tie rods. This ensures you maintain the same turn-ability to left and to right.

Essentially, we always wind up with this 3/4-inch outward box-spacing; and we will have split the difference, left and right, to compensate.
HTH,
sam
Old 02-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
tincan1966

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but adjusting the tie rod length will do nothing for the distance betwen the idler arm and pitman arm- the center link does not adjust. The center link is solid with the holes in fixed locations.
You will need to use the '73-'87 idler arm, as well. They are offset and should re-align the idler parellel with the frame. You will need to drill at least one new mounting hole, if not both, not sure-been a while since I did this swap. I am assuming you installed a PS box with an adapter plate.
Hope this helps

Last edited by tincan1966; 02-16-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: incorrect info
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
tincan1966

I suggest looking thru the many forums on this.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
luvbowties

Question Re: '73-87 center link geometry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincan1966 View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but adjusting the tie rod length will do nothing for the distance betwen the idler arm and pitman arm- the center link does not adjust. The center link is solid with the holes in fixed locations.
You will need to use the '73-'97 idler arm, as well. They are offset and should re-align the idler parellel with the frame. You will need to drill at least one new mounting hole, if not both, not sure-been a while since I did this swap. I am assuming you installed a PS box with an adapter plate.
Hope this helps
ATTENTION Reyals Bemus. Please pay attention to tincan1966. I was completely off base in my previous posts, and tincan is absolutely correct. I've been "helping?" on an entirely different problem that some of us discover with these upgrades--not the one you aptly described. MY BAD, and my apologies; and thanks to tincan for his corrections.
Sam
Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
63sbssbbw
UCA63

You will need to drill 2 new holes for the 73-up idler arm ,and it mounts at an opposite (rearward)angle to the original(forward)angle
T
Attached Images

member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote