The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
restorationboy14

Transmission replacement problems??

Heres the run down. Im replace my trnny and already have the driveshaft disconnected. I noticed that there was only bolts on the top 2 holes. then on the bottom there was studs. I already have the top passenger side loosened I had to use a breaker bar. Now im having troubles with the top driver side. I cant fit a socket wrench in there and can even fit a breaker bar in there. So how did you get it loosend? I am using a 3/4 open end box rench and am going nowhere with it. So the question still remains. What do I do? Thanks!!!!
restorationboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
motorcritter

Re: Transmission replacement problems??

Might be easier to drop the bellhouse/transmission as a unit and work on it on the bench. Less restrictive, and you can possibly replace the subborn/inaccessible items with a more useable replacement.

Thid assumes a manual transmission removal/replacement, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Based off of what you did describe, it sound like you are working on a manual trans. Are you using a 1/2 drive breaker bar with a 3/4 socket? You may have to get a long extension so you can get the breaker bar in a position to put some leverage on it. Once it breaks loose you should be OK. GM never really gave to much thought into engineering a vehicle to be worked on.

Photos if you can post some
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
restorationboy14

Well, I feel stupid. turns out I was just going against the tranny. So i just moved my wrench up and after a little effort and some PB blaster it came right out. Now i have another problem, I took the gear shifter linkage off and the rear end off the tranny. Now i just have the front part of the tranny. I unbolted the top 2 and tapped the alignmet studs. its still not coming out. Thanks for the help!!!!!!
restorationboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: Transmission replacement problems??

Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationboy14 View Post
Well, I feel stupid. turns out I was just going against the tranny. So i just moved my wrench up and after a little effort and some PB blaster it came right out. Now i have another problem, I took the gear shifter linkage off and the rear end off the tranny. Now i just have the front part of the tranny. I unbolted the top 2 and tapped the alignmet studs. its still not coming out. Thanks for the help!!!!!!
Can u jamb 2 nuts together on the alignment studs and screw them out? The studs may have threaded portions gripping into the tranny mtg holes.
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote