The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Russell Ashley

TF with original V8 oil line question.

Actually two questions: Did a TF with an original V8 engine have a mechanical oil guage like my 57? If so, was there a rubber line between the engine and the copper line to absorb the engine vibrations? It doesn't seem correct to me that the copper line would connect directly to the engine.

Right now I'm using a somewhat temporary line to my guage but want to hook it back up like a factory V8 would have been.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: TF with original V8 oil line question.

FAM shows a straight pipe with no rubber covering. Factory 6 is a small 1/8", which I used on my previous 283. This time I upgraded to 1/4", I feel it gives better response and will dump more oil on the floor when it leaks. I aways put a full 360 coil in the oil lines to allow for flex.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Russell Ashley

Thanks Orrie. I'm using 1/8" plastic line that came with an after market guage now but want to change back to a more original setup. I have a 1/8th copper line from a 57 tf six cylinder truck that I will use but it didn't seem exactly right to connect it directly to the engine. I guess with the factory rear mounts the engine can't shake too much to break the tube.
BTW, I picked up a FAM about a week ago but didn't think to look in it. Got it for $25 at the local Tri-Five parts place.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
starterman99

my 57 original v8 truck had the 1/8th'' solid line all the way to back of gauge
Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
_Ogre

they sell new copper lines for oil gauges, i wouldn't use an old line it may have stress cracked already.
the stock line just ran thru the firewall, the only place i've ever seen them break is at the gauge
i had oil on the top of my boots for no reason one day.
i have seen them break at the engine fitting but it was from mishandling

when i ran the oil line for truk i had to come off the fitting above the oil filter and thru the firewall at the steering column hole
heat from the headers required copper line thru the firewall
i ran a loop in the line to absorb any flex and then changed to plastic line inside the cab
plastic line allows the instrument cluster to be removed without first disconnecting the oil line under the dash

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
BTW, I picked up a FAM about a week ago but didn't think to look in it. Got it for $25 at the local Tri-Five parts place.
If you have an afternoon, it is a pretty interesting read. I found lots of stuff that was missing from what I thought was a complete truck since I was only third owner and aquired it in 1976. Also found the section on sealants that shows all the places the factor put sealant for water, wind and noise reduction. It also shows the right hand version. V8 and auto trans RPO sections are very helpful for seeing how the factory engineered the swap. Anyone that is going to do more than just drive and tune up their rigs needs to have one.

And here is a pic of how I did mine, you can see the loop behind the head and where it goes in the firewall.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 02-18-2013 at 02:12 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote