The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Aljohnsonii

1968 gmc 15 gauge problems

None of my gauges light up if they do they are very dim have to drive with a flash light taped to steering wheel any bony knows why the lights are so dim and nothing but speedo works
Posted via Mobile Device
Aljohnsonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
luvbowties

Thumbs up Re: 1968 gmc 15 gauge problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljohnsonii View Post
None of my gauges light up if they do they are very dim have to drive with a flash light taped to steering wheel any bony knows why the lights are so dim and nothing but speedo works
Posted via Mobile Device
So what happens when you rotate your headlight switch?
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Aljohnsonii

Re: 1968 gmc 15 gauge problems

My headlights come on and tail lights I can look under dash and see a little dim light where bulbs are when I hit turn signal the signal on the driver side works and the one on passager side works half the time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
luvbowties

Question Re: 1968 gmc 15 gauge problems

Quote:
My headlights come on and tail lights I can look under dash and see a little dim light where bulbs are when I hit turn signal the signal on the driver side works and the one on passager side works half the time
Posted via Mobile Device
But what happens when you ROTATE the knob when the knob is pulled out? (NOT referring to "pulling it out", which seems to be working correctly by turning on headlights and taillights; ROTATING it--or TWISTING it--is supposed to dim-and-brighten dash lights)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Aljohnsonii

Nothing if I pull the light out out the heater switch I can ground the bulb to the dash and it will get brighter but if I leave it in the heater nothing happens it stays barely lit
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
luvbowties

Question Re: 1968 gmc 15 gauge problems

Quote:
Nothing if I pull the light out out the heater switch I can ground the bulb to the dash and it will get brighter but if I leave it in the heater nothing happens it stays barely lit
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like a bad light switch----maybe just a ground issue----but I'd suspect the lt-sw more. If light sw. is rotated fully clockwise, does overhead light come on? The bulbs 'lastly' get better ground thru the light sw. to make them brighter: when you grounded the heater-switch bulb, it picked "more" or "better" ground than what it had been receiving from light sw.

Did the other lights brighten when you had the heater-sw.-bulb grounded directly? You might try temporarily running a good, direct ground to the dash-panel, grounding just to the metal housing that the bulbs fit into. If this brightens up bulbs, then try the light sw. If it controls them, solution is now known. If not, I'd try a new light switch--$11.99 at Advance Auto Parts!.
Luck,
sam
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Aljohnsonii

Ill try ground out the panel I bought the switch before I posted on here
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Longhorn 70

Quote:
Ill try ground out the panel I bought the switch before I posted on here
Posted via Mobile Device
Were the symptoms the same before you replaced the switch? If not, you may have introduced a new issue.

Not everything new is good.

If things were the same before the new switch, look for bad grounds, bad instrument panel circuit, wrong bulbs in the sockets and silly things like that.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Aljohnsonii

Same as before I replaced the switch could ground the light out on the heater panel and it will get brighter and dimmer with the switch so I figure was bad switch
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Aljohnsonii

Ok I added more grounds to body and frame I have 3 lights that come on when cut the headlight switch on all bulbs are good when I turn the left turn signal on it works fine when I turn the right turn signal on the light below the 50 mph flashes I'm have no clue what to try to fix besides take all the gauges out and add aftermarket and I really wanted to keep original
Posted via Mobile Device