The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Extended72

What to do? Trade or not?

I know some people or all of the members here will think I am crazy for thinking about trading, my wife has always disliked my truck and wants a mustang. So here is the question.

I have a 72 c20 that has been made into a extended cab short bed that I have been contacted by a guy with a 69 fastback mustang That has a New 466 (429) block motor, new 850 demon carburetor. Runs super good. Lots of new high dollar parts.
New mustang II front end, aluminum pro comp heads, double roller timing chain, pro comp roller rockers. Rack& pinion steering.
Plated intake, C6 transmission shifts good, stall converter.New radiator, electric fan. gas tank & sinding unit.
All new brake lines. Disc brakes.New front bumper, grill and trim. New padded dash, also new shocks.
Wheels are new, Also new battery, door panels and flow master exhaust & headers all new. New alignment.
Is in black primer. All this car needs is carpet, headliner, tires & paint.
He is asking
$15,000.00.

So stupid question do I trade or keep my 72?

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

THE ONLY THING HOLDING ME BACK IS FEAR AND COMMON SENSE AND OF COURSE MONEY.
Extended72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Extended72

Re: What to do? Trade or not?

Here are a few details about my

1972 custom extended cab c20 chevy short bed with a 350 vortec, edelbrock air gap intake with edelbrock 600 carb, front disc and rear drum brakes, ps, pb, ac, dual exhaust with chrome tips, front and rear roll pans, cowl hood, sun roof,holley red electric fuel pump, fuel cell mounted under the bed, HEI distributor, one piece side windows, has all new 20" wheels and with performance tires. Cab corners and floor are all solid with no rust. I would value my truck at or around the asking price of the Mustang. Please let me know what you think.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Extended72; 02-23-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Wrong info
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Extended72

I guess part of the hesitation is that I traded a 66 mustang that was a good 20 footer ( looked good from a distance ) I only had about the high end of maybe $3,000 invested into the mustang and feel that I traded way way up getting into the 72. The previous owner of the 72 thought that he was getting over on me he thought that there were major issues with the engine in the 72 and was eager to do the trade, came to just be a cracked flywheel. I maybe have $5,000 invested in the 72 at this point and as anyone else would I want to trade up so here lies the question do I trade my truck for a beast of a 69 fastback that was professionally built to eat up anything in it's way which the owner values his at around $15,000.

Do you look at the monetary value of the two or what the heart wants?

Do I try to please the wife and finish the build to make it a 69 pro touring mustang or for me to be happy and complete the build to a pro touring 72 extended cab short bed?

Please feel free to chime in with any advice it will all be taken in stride and I will try not to cry if the comments are negative.

Thanks for your 3 cents worth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 02-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
DesertCat

Based on what you've said, I would. There is a lot more potential equity in the Mustang. Take some pics!