The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #26
Longhorn 70

Re: It just quit

I know if I wiggled the one on my truck hard enough it used to kill the engine. I used to have sypmtoms that felt like it was out of gas too.....Just bog to a stop. It'd start right up most times after that but.....not always. Replaced the capacitor assy and it hasn't done it for the past 2 years.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #27
kcsa75

We got 13 inches of snow here this week so today was my first chance to get back to get back outside try to resolve this problem. I've replaced the control module and the capacitor and pigtail that connects to the coil at the top of the dizzy. It acts like it wants to start -- sounds like it's getting spark -- but won't. I pulled the fuel filter and didn't see any apparent problems there. The carb is getting gas.

I'm stuck. Any other ideas?

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I had a problem with the HEI in my '69. What I noticed was that I would let off of the gas as I approached a corner, and it would die. I'd throw it into neutral and it would fire right up. I also suspected the module and had it replaced, but it continued to happen. So, I drove it. Again, I'd let off of the gas and it might die. One New Years Day, it happened and I knew it wasn't going to start. I had it towed to the house, bought a new ACCEL Hei (reman) and fixed the problem of it dying.

An inspection of the distributor revealed that the wire to the pickup coil had a break in it. When I let off of the gas, the breaker plate would move via action of the vacuum advance. Sometimes, it was just enough movement to break the electrical connection and it would die.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote