The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
sixTsix

Introduction: its bout time

Evening Gents, ...been lurking here for long enough and i figured it is time to drop a line or two , and get this out of the way lol.
Over the last couple of yrs or so I've been in the market for a old pickup. Originally wanted a 67-72 for sentimental reason but after looking at the market ...theyre a little out of my budget. So i kept looking and decided anything old would work. Low n behold if i didnt pick something up. A 1966 Chevy SBW short stepper. She packing a 327 under the hood ...hooked up with a granny first four speed. Now granted she isnt much of a looker ...but for some reason turns heads. Could be the fact im running 3" headers with turn downs ...thats right, no mufs at this point ...but thats coming down the road. She does have a small leaking rear main ..but nothing that makes the truck undriveable. It has become my new addition. Even more so than my bikes , as i ride motorcycles too, i cant stop thinking about it, future plans,.. ect...Its still running manual drums up front with 6 luggs all the way around. It does have all typical rot, cab corners ..inner outer rockers ...lower fenders ...and a touch in the bed....but nothing that is overwelming persay ...and something i will tackle later down the road. As of right now ...im in the makes of making it mechanically sound as possible without dumping a whole lot of cash into. drive it for a while so i can enjoy it ...and then take it down to the frame...the off frame maybe a yr or two ...because tbh ...i wanna enjoy it as it is for a bit.again its nothign special ...but its mine, and cant help to grin ear to ear when im around it ..and talking about it ...

ANYHOW....i do have my first question with this intro as well. Driver side window regulator needs replacing. So i do a little tearing into it today to see exactly whats involved ...anyhow ...my first question, ive probably alrdy answered myself is ....the glass have to come out? I busted it all loose ...but didnt really see a way to pull it with the glass still in there. Also is there a write up on this yet? ...i havent done a search on this as of yet ...as Ive been in and out all day ...just figured id run it past you guys ....
Also I know how everyone loves pics ....i dont have great pics as of yet ...but here they are....

Last edited by sixTsix; 02-03-2013 at 07:43 PM.
sixTsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Introduction: its bout time

welome!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
T2vigil

Welcome to the forum and I love the short steppers.
T2vigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
bonehead

Welcome to the board from NC, lots of great friendly advice here.

Good luck with your project truck.
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

pretty sure it would help to have it out of the way.. but I have not tried to just pull the reg by itself...
to pull it all , first remove the vent window (roll window down, remove screws on outside top door, and screw/bolt at the bottom, then tilt towards the back of the door and spin 1/4 turn to pull bottom through the door/window opening), then the door glass, pull the door control as well so you can get the reg through the hole
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
RANDY COX

congrats on your new ride....And welcome.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Nice looking truck.
I've often wondered how a truck would look totally blacked-out.
Yours gets close to what I'm thinking, with the addition of Tinted covers over the headlights.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Jackjohn

Welcome, I also have a 66 s step in primer black, yours looks great. I'm up in mineola, close to Tyler tx.if you get up this way give me a holler.

John
Posted via Mobile Device
Jackjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
sixTsix

thanks for the welcome guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Nice looking truck.
I've often wondered how a truck would look totally blacked-out.
Yours gets close to what I'm thinking, with the addition of Tinted covers over the headlights.
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks lostmy65...
yea the preivous owner decided to try n rat it ...so he rattle can blacked everything out. Im seriously contemplating white roof , grill and bumper. all thought i like that whole blacked out thing ...I want to make it mine. I did see a pic of it before he painted the bumper, was chrome, and it looked good ..but after searching and looking at alot of the trucks on this forum ...Im liking the white top, grill and bumper idea more and more.
eventually i will do a disc brake conversion and drop the front end with the kit ...the P.O did lower the back with 4.5" springs ....chopped one coil off the front, so the rear sits a little lower than the front. I wanna have a little rake up front. but for right now ...its a beaut. you know the old saying ..beauty is in the eye of the beholder lol ....to most people this thing would a POS in their eyes ...but to me its perfect. There are some things I would like to get right though ..for example no gas gauge....not one interior light....no speedo ....well the speedo works ...but says 100 while running around 60...of course the rear main...which ill probably jerk the motor at that point and go through it make it a little more hotter.
the interior was in much need of help when i bought it ....had some old gm buckets with broke springs so when you sat in it ...you were on the floor,..the damned clutch gas and brake pedals so close it was like you were riding in a gocart. since then i did a low budget make over ..including ripping the house carpet out ...pulling the buckets ...painting, laying rubber flooring down and installing a bench with saddle blanket seat cover for the time being ....looks alot better ...and the best part about it is ...not sitting on the floorboard anymore hahaha
anyhow ..again thanks for the welcome ,...all help is very apreciated, ..and thanks for building some of the baddest, cleanest trucks ive seen. after digging through yalls builds storys and pics of yalls rides it has inspired me to know that anything is possible with a little time.

Last edited by sixTsix; 02-03-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum. Great looking truck. I tried the blacked out theme back when I first painted mine in gloss black lacquer. Powder coated the grille, bumpers, guards, etc. After a while I just found it boring, so the front end went back to white.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Welcome to the party. You have a very nice truck to start with. The possibilities are endless. You will get plenty of advise, opinions and help here.

Have fun with the new project.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:12 AM   #13
TehNewGuy

Welcome from Miami!!! That truck looks great! Defitly a great start to fuel that obsession
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

TehNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #14
Vernski

Welcome from North Idaho, that's not a bad looking truck some have started with less anyhow it has allot of potential SWB Step-sides are a premium...Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
sixTsix

well fellas....i went ahead and took some glammor shots of my ride ...so here they are ..now you can see what im working with ....enjoy