The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Bagood

Wheel ?

Not sure where to post this but here goes....

I have a 66 c10 converted to 4 wheel dics using cpp rear kit...question is can I run a 22x11 wheel with 6.75bs with out narrowing the axle? I understand wheel tubs will need mods but will it clear the bedside ok?

Any info would be greatly appreciated...bed is off at the moment and out of town so measuring isnt possible at the moment

ps it is a short fleet bed
Bagood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Wheel ?

I would not recommend going by anothers word here.

Wait to order/purchase your wheels until you can confirm the measurements yourself. There are too many possibilities w/these old trucks. What works for the guy that tells you 'sure' they'll work may not work for you.

One of the rears could have been swapped @ some point....
The different brake systems can change dimensions of wheel mounting surface to wms....
Where one guy measures from another might not....

That being said, these trucks w/fleetside beds can typically fit an 8" wheel w/4" of bs w/o issue. Calculating off of that, it's only moving the wheel outward (toward the bedside) 1/4" so you'll prob be ok based on a stock drum set-up. The determining factors will be ride height & rear-end width w/the discs.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Listen to SCOTI.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
Pro Performance

Yes, in this particular case, I would suggest measuring. When purchasing custom wheels, you want to make sure you are 100% correct. What wheels are you looking at? If it is something we carry, I can definitely help you out with fitment, backspacing & pricing. Just email me: travis@azproperformance.com

We have a fitment form you can fill out with your measurements and can help you from there. This is something we offer to our customers.

- Travis
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Bagood

22x11 american racing daytona
Old 02-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
Bagood

SCOTI.....thanks for your input, it is appreciated
Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Pro Performance

Without the measurements, I would say that wheel has too much backspace and would require a spacer of some sort. It can be done, just a matter of the spacer width, and of course making clearance on the inside tubs.

- Travis
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Bagood

too much backspace? not sure I understand how that would be an issue and why I would need a spacer
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
Pro Performance

The wheel would be tucked too far underneath the truck and would cause more interference with the wheel tub. And, with that much backspace, it might also look odd being tucked in the fender well that much. Either way, you will need to make some sort of room in the wheel tubs to fit 11" wheels.

Taking measurements before ordering the wheels are very important. That will give you all the details you need to do in order to fit them.

- Travis
Old 02-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
Bagood

my concern is not the interior of the bed as it will have a raised floor and modded tubs, my concern was if they will fit the truck with a stock width axle using disc brakes and it being a short fleet bed....as in no rubbing on the inside of the bedsides
Old 02-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagood View Post
my concern is not the interior of the bed as it will have a raised floor and modded tubs, my concern was if they will fit the truck with a stock width axle using disc brakes and it being a short fleet bed....as in no rubbing on the inside of the bedsides
A factory width 66 12bolt housing w/drum brakes we know will accomodate a 8" wheel w/4" of back-space in a fleet bed application @ mild drop.

8" = 4"bs. With no other changes to keep the outside spacing the same...
9" would require 5"bs; 10" = 6"bs; & 11" = 7"bs. So the proposed 22x11 w/6.75"bs would be 1/4" closer to the outside sheetmetal & definitely require tub mods.

Board member 'Painter D' did 20x12's w/7" of back-spacing on his previous 69 short fleet (same width rear housing)....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=293455
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
Pro Performance

I would recommend a 4.75" backspace on a 10" wheel with that narrower rear end, so that is why the 6.75" seems to much on the 11" wheel. To me that is too much. As you get wider, you will have to push out some towards the front side, just not add to the inside.

The info SCOTI put is helpful (and the link), but as he also mentioned, I would definitely measure. That is the best advice here, especially since you can see that we both have different specs we would run.

Definitely not to say SCOTI is wrong, but as you can see, everyone is different in how they want their wheels to "fit". I hope that did not come off wrong, my apologies if it did SCOTI.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Bagood

once again SCOTI thanks for your info...it is greatly appreciated
Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Bagood

Pro Performance thanks for your info as well...

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to respond at this point
Old 02-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Performance View Post
I would recommend a 4.75" backspace on a 10" wheel with that narrower rear end, so that is why the 6.75" seems to much on the 11" wheel. To me that is too much. As you get wider, you will have to push out some towards the front side, just not add to the inside.
I know the 11" width w/4.75"bs wouldn't work w/a 62" 65-69 12bolt w/moderate to severe drop based on measurements taken during the build of my 64 short-fleet.

Mine has a '68 12-bolt (same width as the 66 housing) & my initial wheels are 10" wide w/5.5" back-spacing. This truck has the ability to come within 1.5" of the ground @ the rear cab mounts which I know will require more clearance on the inner bed wall area (the 10" wheel w/5.5"bs will require mini-tubs, bedside mods & floor mods).

I know the common approach to increasing wheel width is to split the difference on the back-spacing. That being said, it's not mandatory. More back-spacing requires more effort getting the wheels on/off for sure which is already a challenge on the 60-66 fleet beds. A narrower rear housing w/'ideal' back-spacing would definitely be better but then that cost has to be considered.

Travis....
No aplogies required here. I feel we're both giving good solid advice as there's more than 1-way to get it done. I do still adhere to my initial statement: Don't take anyones word; wait to order after measuring your exact set-up to make sure they'll fit.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
Bagood

truck has Scotts Hot Rods super slam in the front and was set up to allow up to a 24" wheel combo in the rear....have not narrowed the rear and really dont care to. now has 5 lug rear disc on it..

I understand interior of the bed and floor and tubs will need to be modified, what I was trying to determine was that these wheels would or would not fit on the setup I mentioned....this truck will lay out, if I have to narrow I will but if not then I wont, don't need a huge lip like some of these guys are running, but some meat in the rear to help out with the ls power would be welcomed
Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
Bagood

I again appreciate you guys taking the time to respond...I think you guys have helped more than you know