The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
danheit

Started on my engine swap today

So today began the task of prepping my old 350 block to take the place of the one in my 71. Reason behind swapping is the truck's original motor has a nice tapping coming from the pass. side head, and the other motor I have is nicely built. Majority of today was spent pulling off all of the old TBI crap from the garage engine (also has TBI heads, I know, I know, but they have a LOT of work done to them). went and purchased a new Edelbrock performer intake for the pre 86 motors, and went to grinding on the two inner intake bolt holes...now everything lines up nicely! Towards the end of the day I was able to remove all the crap from the front of the old engine to make it easier to get out. Tomorrow morning will be disconnecting the starter wiring, unbolting the exhaust and trans, and pulling the engine. Debating on whether to take the hood off or not. Right now, nothing from the body has been removed, and although it would make life SO MUCH EASIER, I hate to mess with the alignment. Everything works really well right now. All I have to do with the new motor is install the new intake gasket, Install my carb, HEI dizzy and a few other small things and I should be good to go! Looking forward to screaming down the highway with this thing!
1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
danheit

Re: Started on my engine swap today

Weeellllll, I tried really hard, but a few setbacks threw me off today. Currently the motor is in the truck and bolted to the trans, but intake is not on, no dizzy, nothing else hooked up.

Couple things I learned today:

1: You can not use a 700R4 torque converter on a T350 trans. It just doesn't fit. That one took a while to figure out, then having to pull the motor back out, remove the 700 converter, remove the t350 converter from the old motor and install it on the new one.
2: On a serpentine belt setup, the power steering pump cannot be removed without pulling the power steering pump pulley, meaning you cannot remove the aluminum bracket to paint underneath of it, which means you will get a half a$$ paint job on a rattle can rebuild.
3: It's a lot more work than you plan on, always. Hopefully this works
4: A regular pre-86 4bbl intake can be used with TBI heads, you just have to massage it a little with a die grinder. My nice new Edelbrock intake now fits like a glove!
5: When you fill a torque converter with ATF, then lower the engine into the engine bay at an angle, trans fluid pours out and goes everywhere. Also, when the tranny dipstick falls out of the hole, then the trans falls off the support jack, tranny fluid ALSO goes everywhere, and at the same time, it will bend your shift linkage.

I didn't get any pics of this process, as my hands were black with grease and I really didn't want to gag up my iPhone. I will try to grab pics tomorrow after work. I am hoping that with a little effort and luck, I can have everything in and ready to go by the end of the weekend (I am working every day and won't get to start working, outside and in the dark, until about 1930 hrs.)
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
myyamr7

It's much easier/cleaner IMO to unbolt the 3 converter bolts and not even remove that. Also, put a block of wood on your floor jack and jack up on the trans pan a bit, it'll make your life a lot easier and won't bend your shift linkage
myyamr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

When you say that you have a nicely built engine, it would happen to be a stroker engine by chance. I ask so that you don't go forward with a possible problem that will reveal itself when you start up. Most stroker engines use the 400 crank which requres an externally balanced flexplate, where the T-350 is not balanced, since the crank in the normal 350 is internally balanced. Just a question to ponder.

As for you tranny oil leakage issue, don't put the oil in until you need it. Always leave the converter with the tranny it is cleaner and makes on look like they have the stuff together if the floor is not a swimming pool of tranny goo.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #5
MARKDTN

You can't put a torque converter on the engine and slide it into the transmission that way. You will break the pump and/or bellhousing. You have to put the converter in the trans-rotate it until it "clicks" twice-then bolt the engine on.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
You can't put a torque converter on the engine and slide it into the transmission that way. You will break the pump and/or bellhousing. You have to put the converter in the trans-rotate it until it "clicks" twice-then bolt the engine on.
X2

Torque concerters are unique to each tranny. I think 700r4 and 200 4r may be interchangeable, can't remember...
Also, you can buy a puller the remove the ps pulley. They may have a loaner tool at auto zone.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
danheit

Yeah, unfortunately late night reading on this site has screwed me once again! If the rain lets up, I will be pulling the motor BACK out tonight, pulling the PS pulley off, finish painting this thing the right way, re-install the torque converter to the transmission first to make sure it is seated properly, and am most likely going to just time the engine while it's out of the truck since it will be easier to get to and get the #1 to TDC. This is what I get for rushing things last night, but I was trying to get it all put back together before the end of the day yesterday so I wouldn't have to have the truck blocking my driveway for the weekend (I am working all weekend). Looks like it happened anyways, so I might as well restart and do it right. Going to measure the trans also, and see if I can make the 700R4 work. Once again, thanks to some late night reading, I got my hopes up that I have the 9" tail housing which will be the same length as the 700R4, which would make my life SO MUCH EASIER! So I am spending an extra $50 or so on the intake, and will be spending whatever on the Trans lockup switch since I'm not using my computer anymore (if I can do the 700r4, which I'm really hoping to!).

Sorry guys, here's the ONLY pic I took yesterday, but better than nothing!

Went from this mess:

To This mess:

Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
Transformula

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
X2

Torque concerters are unique to each tranny. I think 700r4 and 200 4r may be interchangeable, can't remember...
Also, you can buy a puller the remove the ps pulley. They may have a loaner tool at auto zone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Nope! Tried it once (on accident). I built a fresh, nice hot rodded 200 and then installed it with a 700 converter that the trans shop sold me by mistake. The splines are smaller on the 200 and with the 700 converter, the turbine would slip by the splines when running and you would hear a whirr sound and no vehicle movement.
But definately put the converter on the trans first. If the two tangs for the pump dont line up, and the two sets of splines for the stator and turbine, you WILL break something. Spin the converter as you are installing it. Drop in the engine. Then start all 3 bolts, then go around again and tighten them.
1995 FXDL Harley Low Rider
1985 C10 ShortWide 91 Burb front.
Transformula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
danheit

Well, tonight was a bust all the way around. Freezing cold and raining, and dark by the time I got off work. Nothing got done. HOWEVER, I did take a quick roll under the truck with a tape measure and found that I have the short shaft T350, which means that I will have to get my driveshaft shortened for the 700 swap. Ah well, at least I tried.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
buckskins4ever

Danheit......another little tid bit just incase you hadnt noticed it yet. The water pump for the SBC (long pump) is a reversing pump for serp systems and non-reversing for v-belt setups. I came across that by mistake as well swapping out the v-belt for the full serp system.
anyways....keep it up, its gonna be worth the pains when your done.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
danheit

I cried a little last night. The first time I sat the engine in the truck, it started pouring rain immediately after. I threw the intake manifold on the block, stuffed it full of rags, threw a tarp over the engine bay and weighted it down. Came home two days later to pull the intake to swap it for an actual TBI head intake, and found water in the valley, and all of my rags were wet. Seems the tarp I threw on top had a little hole......right over the intake carb opening. No biggie, pulled the motor back out, cleaned the upper end up, finished putting it back together. last night I got it all buttoned up in my garage to go in the truck, set the timing, etc. and did a quick oil change while it was out to finish all the work I could do outside the truck while I am waiting on the week's worth of rain to stop. I pulled the drain plug, and out came fresh looking nice clear water. yep, about a gallon of water came out, followed by some nice black oil. I am hoping and praying that since the water and oil didn't mix, and all of the oil rose to the top, that it kept the crank in the actual oil and didn't get any rust on it. I had already pulled the plugs prior and sprayed WD40 in them and turned it over a few times when I first pulled the block, so I'm not worried about the cyl's, but I am not a very happy camper right now. I was trying to avoid pulling the pan, but since it's STILL raining, I may do that today and see what I can make happen with the bottom of the motor. Ah, the fun of this 'relaxing' hobby.....
Old 02-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
danheit

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskins4ever View Post
Danheit......another little tid bit just incase you hadnt noticed it yet. The water pump for the SBC (long pump) is a reversing pump for serp systems and non-reversing for v-belt setups. I came across that by mistake as well swapping out the v-belt for the full serp system.
anyways....keep it up, its gonna be worth the pains when your done.
Yeah, I was thankfully aware of that one. I am actually completely swapping blocks, and this one already has all the correct Serpentine parts on it. I also trimmed off the smog pump bracket from the pass. side of the motor. Made for a big difference.