The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
stroker52

85 chevy got a few questions..

i just got this truck its a 1 owner but the owner didnt do much to it so it rough.

ive been looking at brothers truck parts, lmc, classis industries for parts but kinda having a hard time understanding some stuff. ive searched on here for 2 days just seeing what others say, i need a dash cuz mine is trashed what one is as close to OEM i need a grey one. i plan to replace all the seals in the doors and cab. i see they make a complete kit but not sure what all comes in the kit and what i would need to buy extra. my truck has the rubber mat but im going back with carpet where is the best place to buy the carpet.
stroker52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: 85 chevy got a few questions..

try our site vendors for the carpet... I put a dash cap overlay on both my trucks and it looks awesome. Its also a lot cheaper than a repro dash cover

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
andrewmp6

If your not building a show truck a dash cap is perfect for a daily driver.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
stroker52

This dash is way to gone for a cap.. It looks like someone turned 2 pissed off Chihuahua dogs loss in the cab..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Sterling

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...ml?3593=127562

This is where I got mine, I linked you to a grey one for your truck

It is a full replacement dash, Urethane molded over a metal inner frame. The only parts you need to save from your old dash are the retainer clips (the metal clips that slide into the body up by the windshield) and the trim/vents on your dash, the rest gets tossed

The urethane does not crack in the sun like vinyl does, but the dash is still sort of soft and squishy like a good dash should be.

When I got mine, it was shipped well enough to be dropped off of a UPS truck and be fine, they mount it on a 2+4 to keep it from flexing in shipment

This is the cheapest route for a "new" dash. Its OER brand and very high quality molding. I am very happy of this purchase, and it wasn't too bad for a new dash, seeing some covers are over $100

And if the foam in your dash is rotten and moldy like mine was, your truck will smell much better!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
stroker52

You have any pix of it installed? I just don't want to get one that's all wavy I've read some horror story's on here about some of the dashes sagging
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
zach33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...ml?3593=127562

This is where I got mine, I linked you to a grey one for your truck

It is a full replacement dash, Urethane molded over a metal inner frame. The only parts you need to save from your old dash are the retainer clips (the metal clips that slide into the body up by the windshield) and the trim/vents on your dash, the rest gets tossed

The urethane does not crack in the sun like vinyl does, but the dash is still sort of soft and squishy like a good dash should be.

When I got mine, it was shipped well enough to be dropped off of a UPS truck and be fine, they mount it on a 2+4 to keep it from flexing in shipment

This is the cheapest route for a "new" dash. Its OER brand and very high quality molding. I am very happy of this purchase, and it wasn't too bad for a new dash, seeing some covers are over $100

And if the foam in your dash is rotten and moldy like mine was, your truck will smell much better!
What about their weather stripping. i havent heard reall any good things about LMC's weather stripping.
zach33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker52 View Post
You have any pix of it installed? I just don't want to get one that's all wavy I've read some horror story's on here about some of the dashes sagging
Posted via Mobile Device
Ill go snap a few right now. I only have one wave in mine, and that is because there is no retainer bracket under it, because I broke 2 installing it. Ill fix it eventually. I've got nothing but comments from friends who ride in my truck. Surprising since most drive new cars, and consider this dash "nice"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach33 View Post
What about their weather stripping. i havent heard reall any good things about LMC's weather stripping.
I didn't get weatherstripping from them, seem well priced. LMC wants $50 for the doors, ill pass. I'm getting a set off of Rock Auto, ill let you know then. When i had my el camino, rock auto sold me some really sweat weatherstripping, so ill go back again. Plus $30 shipped for the pair.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
Sterling

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...25#post5919125

This thread has the pics your looking for
Old 02-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #10
stroker52

i buy alot from rockauto.. didnt know there weather strip stuff was good, ive got to replace every thing in my doors as far as seals go..