The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
biohazardbill

Air Line Safety questions.

Bagged 67 Chevy... 454...

Stock crossmember, line exits under the CPP perch

I want to fire it up this weekend but havent tied up the loose ends yet on securing the air lines. Right now they are touching the headers (which is obviously too close) but my plans are to wrap them in fuel line and the secure it to the inside of the frame rail. This will put a few inches between the header and the line. See any issues with this? Will putting the rubber line on it be a bad idea due to keeping the heat on the line if the rubber gets hot?

TIA
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
SCOTI

Re: Air Line Safety questions.

For break-in purposes, wrapping it in some rubber hose & tieing it up & away from the header as far as possible will work. I would utilize a 90* fitting @ the top of the bag & have the line exit from the back side of the x-member if possible for long term.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
biohazardbill

It does have a 90 however running it through the backside I thought would get in the way of the leveling sensors, shocks etc. I also wanted to make sure to run it inside the frame rail for protection from flying rocks etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
andrewmp6

Or maybe ceramic coat the headers will cut down on the heat.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Bret B

How about cutting the line as it comes through the crossmemeber, install a 90* fitting there, direct toward frame, cut line again, install 90* fitting directed the way you want. Granted, the more cuts and fittngs, the more possible leaking points, but that also works for keeping things safe. Another thought, what about using a pre-bent brake stainless hard line and routing it through the x-member? Cut the end, put the air hose fitting on the end, flare it, and see if it works. Brake hose can handle the psi of your air system to my understanding. A final thought is to have a hard line custom made at a hydraulics shop after cutting soft line in the directions and bends you need. Take the air hose fittings in and have the them attached and bent, stainless steel braid would look hot and they can be covered with clear protective plastic.

For the immediate test fire, bundle tie it away from the headers and cover with anything you have onhand. Light pressure on the bundle tie so you don't kink the tubing, and anything rated at 300 degrees should be ok for a test fire. It is obviously the incidental contact you're trying to avoid if I understand what you're looking for.
.................|_/(0)\_ll____/(0)_l.
Bret B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Square_78

Theres LOTS of room to come out the rear of the crossmember and still avoid shocks and eLevel sensors. You can put the hole anywhere you want back there. I'd rather have the line 2 inches from a shock absorber, than 2 inches from a header tube.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #7
wraprail

Heres how I ran mine. Backside of crossmember, over level sensor and behind shock then over top of frame to inside then all the way back.

Posted via Mobile Device
wraprail is offline   Reply With Quote