The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

Drive shaft help

I have never owned anything with a 2 piece drive shaft and need to know if this one will work for me.

I recently bought a 68 C20 longbed with no drive train (engine, tranny, drive shaft). I have an "extra" small block that is ready to go and a TH350 tranny that needs a rebuild. But...I was at pick-a-part the other day and they just got in a 71 C20 that was complete. It had a TH400 tranny (that looked recently rebuilt) and the driveshaft and tranny crossmember. I figured I could easily throw the tranny and drive shaft on the truck and not worry about having to do to a drive line shop. So I grabbed all of that stuff to include the kickdown harness, etc.

I might have jumped the gun a little because the crossmember appears to be out of a 73+ and now looking at the drive shaft I dont know if it will work either. I dont see anywhere for the driveshaft to compress as the suspension moves.

Any ideas?

Thanks, John
Attached Images

68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
ChevyCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Drive shaft help

THe slack or depression is in the yoke that goes in the tranny. Push the yoke in all the way and pull it out 3/4 inch and you're good to go.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

Yes the yoke will move in and out of the tranny but doesnt the center support bearing stop this movement? Most of the other 2 piece drive shafts I have seen pictures of look like the slack is taken up in the telescoping section of the rear section.

Thanks, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
THe slack or depression is in the yoke that goes in the tranny. Push the yoke in all the way and pull it out 3/4 inch and you're good to go.
68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
Old 03-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

The rubber in the carier brg. takes up the movement. The 400 has a different yoke then the 350.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
brad_man_72
the boat guy

The 2 piece shaft without a slip and stub in the center is for control arm trucks, leaf trucks the rear end moves around a lot more compared to the driveshaft.
Measure 2.5" from the front ujoint (tailshaft) to the center of carrier bearing (crossmember) then to center of ujoint (face of pinion flange)
If everything is the same it will bolt right in and work (assuming its a good shaft to begin with) it may need to be ballanced (everything looks newer) except those factory style weights......
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

OK guys thanks for the replies. I spend a good amount of time this weekend crawling under any old C10 longbed trucks I could find. Some were at the junk yards but 3 were just randomly parked around town as I was driving so I looked under. Lucky for me none of the owners came out as I was looking/taking pictures under their trucks. LOL

You are absolutely right that the coil spring rear end (driveshaft) is different than the leaf spring. The 1/2 ton leaf spring truck that I had previously looked at (before the purchase) had the other style carrier bearing and driveshaft, that is what had me messed up.

One of the trucks I found this weekend was exactly the same as mine and it uses the same driveshaft/carrier bearing as I purchased and is pictured above. So I should be good to go. I will inspect all of the u-joints, but you are right most of the parts look like they were recently replaced/rebuilt as well as the TH400 tranny (was super clean), that is why I purchased all of the stuff at one time without researching the different driveshaft options.

Thanks again,

John
Old 03-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

I wanted to post a quick pict of the truck this is going into. My first longbed and my first 3/4 ton. Everything else I have is lowered so I figure all the HD stuff will make me keep this one stock (or close to it)

Anybody know how to post pictures directly from an iPhone. I have been taking them with the phone then emailing them to myself and opening them on a computer to resize and then upload. Pain in the butt.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Really sharp truck!
I changed all of the suspension stuff on my 1/2 ton, swaps out as easy as the hd stuff.....
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote