The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Jayschevy

Brake line question

I was under my 71 truck and noticed that the hard rear brake line from the MC is not continuous down the passinger side of the truck. It is split and spliced to another hard line that runs to the rear brakes by a rubber hose. Why? Just curious because my hose looks like it needs to be replaced. I thought the truck had hard brake line from the MC back to the rear brakes, I guess not.
Anybody know why Chevy would splice the hard line with a rubber hose?
Jayschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Brake line question

The rear end has to move up and down, and has side to side play. You need a flexable line to the rear end. Just like the 2 front lines have hoses from the frame to the Caliper or drum. To allow for movement.

Fuel lines also have flexable rubber line between the tank and the hard line on the frame rail. Then another flexable line from the frame line to the fuel pump. It allows for movement.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
JVictor75
Maintenance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayschevy View Post
I was under my 71 truck and noticed that the hard rear brake line from the MC is not continuous down the passinger side of the truck. It is split and spliced to another hard line that runs to the rear brakes by a rubber hose. Why? Just curious because my hose looks like it needs to be replaced. I thought the truck had hard brake line from the MC back to the rear brakes, I guess not.
Anybody know why Chevy would splice the hard line with a rubber hose?
I guess I'm not fully understanding your question. Is the hard line on the frame split and then connected via rubber hose?

Or is it that there is a rubber hose running from the frame to your rear diff, which then connects to hard lines before running to the rear brakes?

If it's the first one, it sounds like the hardlines running from front to rear on your truck were damaged and then patched via rubber hose. They are normally a two piece line connected via a hardline butt connector somewhere in the vicinity of the trailing arm crossmember (if memory serves.)

At some point, your lines might have gotten pinched, they might have rusted, who knows? Either that or someone replaced them at some point and either didn't get enough line before bending it to fit or bought pre-bent line for the wrong truck. The wheelbases are 115" (SWB), 127" (LWB), and 133" (Longhorn).

If it's the 2nd situation, the rubber line going from the frame to the rear diff is normal. (The diff has to be able to move up and down, afterall.) Replacements can be had from just about any vendor here on the board.

Heck, I'd even be tempted to order it from LMC, they can't possibly be able to screw that up too badly.
JVictor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I got new rubber lines from my local parts store... EZPZ.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote