The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Flathead Smith

Re: Help! Is a 4.57 rear gear tolerable?

I have a 1965 C-20 and it originally had a 4.56 with the stock Powerglide and probably would have left it that way as most of my driving is around town. The rear started making some noise and it was traced to loose carrier bearings and a partially failed pinion bearing. The carrier bearings and the pinion support bearings for these are the same as the ones used in the 14-bolt (I think) and are cheap and available, the main pinion bearing is also still available, but is very expensive to replace. I happened to run across an H072 complete carrier assembly that had very low miles and the added benefit was that it was a 4:10. It easily bolted directly into my housing with the exception that I had to shorten the driveshaft about ¾ of an inch. The truck lost a little bit of bottom end from a start, but is a little more pleasant driving around town.

Also the there were Dana 60 installed in a few C-20s and the carrier in these units allows a little more flexibility in regards to available gear ratios and parts are much easier to acquire (the Dana 60 is still in production), they were usually available with a limited slip differential, which is not as effective as the locker, but is not nearly as harsh in operation. I have one set aside just in case my H072 fails.

Note: If you decide to get rid of yours I would gladly purchase the Detroit Locker from you as that is what I wish to add to mine next.
Flathead Smith is offline   Reply With Quote