The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

I noticed my new windshield is leaking. How can I make sure they fix it properly?

Safelite did the work about a month ago. I didn't notice anything until tonight, when it was raining pretty good. It's leaking on both the driver and passenger sides

I'll need to have them come out and fix it, but is there anything special I need to instruct them so this gets done right?

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
SEA-HAWKS

Re: I noticed my new windshield is leaking. How can I make sure they fix it properly?

If this helps I have had similar problems with my truck as well. The windshield gasket is probably bad or they did a piss ass job sealing it. My suggestion order a new gasket and have them install it when they reinstall your windshield. If you have the deluxe trim go without it. The installers seem to have a difficult time setting it. Hope this helps. The windshield place still has my truck and have had it for a few weeks already. They changed the gasket and trim in 71 and the previous owner had 67-70 gasket and trim even though mine is a 71. Needless to say I bought a 71-72 gasket which wouldn't work with my trim. So then I bought new trim and that was the correct trim though once they had it put on it didn't protrude out as much so it showed the sealer. Needless to say it can be a pain in the rear.
Posted via Mobile Device
SEA-HAWKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:36 AM   #3
WIDESIDE72

Re: I noticed my new windshield is leaking. How can I make sure they fix it properly?

Precision has a windshield gasket install on YouTube.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

You dont need to do anything except to call them. They are the suppose to be the experts, not you, and part of the price you paid was for the nationwide warranty. Unless the guarantee specifically says that it doesn't cover leaks, I would have them work on it until it doesn't leak. That's what you paid for-JMO
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

There are numerous posts on this site related to this problem. I would make sure you use a Precision brand gasket. I had the deluxe trim option and decided to go with the standard gasket because of the difficulty in setting the trim. Plus I personally like the looks of it on my trucks without the trim.

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Daddy Brim

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmc8 View Post
You dont need to do anything except to call them. They are the suppose to be the experts, not you, and part of the price you paid was for the nationwide warranty. Unless the guarantee specifically says that it doesn't cover leaks, I would have them work on it until it doesn't leak. That's what you paid for-JMO
X 2. If I paid someone to work on anything, and if it did not work I would make them do it again until it is right.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmc8 View Post
Oh, I agree, but at the same time- I've found with these guys that I have to be on my A game to make sure it gets done properly. They already had to replace the entire windshield a second time, because they didn't bring the right gasket and reused my 44 year old original one, and then put in a non original type window with a shade band on it that covered my line of sight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
shawno72
C/10 junkie

This is a very common problem with these old trucks. Sub'd to see the outcome.

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Like everyone says, make the installer fix the leaks. I would ask them what gasket they used. Precision is the best and what we sell, but you need to look at where your door pillar meets the upper windshield frame too. If the seam sealer in that spot is cracked or lifting it will cause the leak. So if that is happening it needs to be addressed. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
Like everyone says, make the installer fix the leaks. I would ask them what gasket they used. Precision is the best and what we sell, but you need to look at where your door pillar meets the upper windshield frame too. If the seam sealer in that spot is cracked or lifting it will cause the leak. So if that is happening it needs to be addressed. WES
I'm definitely going to have them fix it, but I'll need to be the job supervisor, and I want to make sure I know what to look for, rather then have a couple guys with caulk guns show up and get all happy gooping it everywhere

I definitely need to replace the drip rail caulk seem. Is that what you're talking about? If so, why did I never notice any leaks with the old windshield ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Tinkermc

You paid good money the job should be right!! I would call them back and enlighten them of you problem and dissatifaction,(sp) if they are pro's they will earn your money and respect.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
Spartan

I just want to x2 the precision you tube video. I would watch it with the installer(s) because there is an order. Top to bottom, bottom to top, rope type and size, precision sells the product and made the video in response to board members. Good info.
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
68Gold/white

There's some realistic things, you may not want to hear...First I'm on your side...
The installer DOES need to make the repair right, without doubt...

The pinch welded area's that the windshield gasket is mounted to, is not constructed exactly the same from one pickup, to another. Whether anyone likes it or not, cosnstruction consistancy wasn't something that happened back then...

You MAY need some sealer, from a caulk gun. IF so, make sure it is urethane, and NOT butyl rubber caulk.

What I would do..., I'd get a water hose and try to pinpoint the leak, to make sure the install guys know exactly where it's leaking, so they don't miss it!!!

I essentially don't let anyone work on anything I have anymore, for the reasons, you are running to. Quality work is too rare of a thing, these days, my opinion.

It should of had a new gasket installed!!! That old gasket bonded to the glass and body, through the years, it too was soft and pliable, when it was new...

Installing a new windshield in one of these pickups is very difficult to do, using an old gasket, that surprises me...

Yes, I've installed my own glass!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA-HAWKS View Post
If this helps I have had similar problems with my truck as well. The windshield gasket is probably bad or they did a piss ass job sealing it. My suggestion order a new gasket and have them install it when they reinstall your windshield. If you have the deluxe trim go without it. The installers seem to have a difficult time setting it. Hope this helps. The windshield place still has my truck and have had it for a few weeks already. They changed the gasket and trim in 71 and the previous owner had 67-70 gasket and trim even though mine is a 71. Needless to say I bought a 71-72 gasket which wouldn't work with my trim. So then I bought new trim and that was the correct trim though once they had it put on it didn't protrude out as much so it showed the sealer. Needless to say it can be a pain in the rear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Whao! Slow down. You didn't need to do all that. Guys swap in the 67-70 gaskets & trim all the time. It's actually an upgrade of sorts. We like that the 67-70 trim has a longer flange with a deeper groove in the gasket. They interchange and have the same appearance,but trims won't interchange gaskets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
I'm definitely going to have them fix it, but I'll need to be the job supervisor, and I want to make sure I know what to look for, rather then have a couple guys with caulk guns show up and get all happy gooping it everywhere

I definitely need to replace the drip rail caulk seem. Is that what you're talking about? If so, why did I never notice any leaks with the old windshield ?
Posted via Mobile Device
It is possible the leak originating at your rain gutter. I'd get on that either way. Hopefully it's not the gasket. Many have issues with leaking. A lot rides on how well they are sealed

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
midniteblues

when i pulled my 67 windsheild it had some sealer type material in the gasket and around the pinch weld.it was a soft type of product(meaning it didnt get hard)
I dont remember the stuff in the kids truck when we did that one

did the factory put some sealer in the gasket and pinch weld along with the gasket or was this done sometime in its years?

only reason i bring this up is because it could help mr b with his problem if he doesnt have other issuse"s goeing on with gutter sealer or rust around the windsheild perhaps they could just pull it back out an chuck some sealer in there

also i've never noticed the very small holes in the corners of the dash by the pinch welds they look like drain holes at the bottom of the pinch welds
gm must've expected/ planned these so the dash wouldnt hold fluid
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #16
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Well that just stinks. Sorry you have to go through this again.

Here is what I think:

If the windshield did not leak before it was replaced, I would not blame it on seam sealer problems. Yes it maybe true that you need to address the seam sealer but I don't think it is the cause of your problem. Is there water coming from the top and running down or is the water on the bottom only? I would have Mrs-B go with you to the quarter wash and have her hose it down from the outside while you watch from the inside. You need to know the source of the leak before you can determine the best way to address it

I agree that the installers should be responsible for any leak but if you call them out to fix it all they will do is replace it again. There needs to be some diagnostics involved here.

Good luck sir.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Here's a related post with a link toward the end for the Precision install video....http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484773

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland

Last edited by DeadheadNM; 03-10-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added link
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
c10srule

also aftermarket windshields arent as thick as original windshields, ive had that problem with leaks,
c10srule is offline   Reply With Quote