The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
buckeyesam

72 blazer 4x4 speedo question

Hi everyone, i am new to this site and this is my first time, so be gentle. The cable is not turning from the transfer case. I dont feel anything in their. I am not sure if the gear is broke or missing. Its an original th350 trans, motor, 205 transfer case. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance
buckeyesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: 72 blazer 4x4 speedo question

Have you tried pulling the cable to see if its broke?
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
buckeyesam

I pulled the cable off from the transfer case. I can barely fit my pinkie finger tip into the opening. I dont feel anything in their, nor do I know if i should feel anything. Obviously if the cable doesnt spin while attached to the transfer case their is something wrong. I even tried a new cable, still nothing turns.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
buckeyesam

I am not sure if i should be able to see or feel the speedo shaft adapter once i unscrew the cable from the transfer case. Does anyone know if I can buy a new speedo shaft adapter and speedo drive gear? If so, where? That may be the best way to go at this?!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
landy

You didn't indicate in your post, but I'm assuming the speedometer isn't working. If so, first thing to do is to check the speedo cable to see if it's broken. You can unscrew it at the xfer case and attach a drill to that end of the cable, operate the drill and see if the speedo needle moves.

If it doesn't, could be the cable or the speedo. Unscrew the end at the speedo, turn it and see if the other end moves. If not, it's a broken cable.

When I bought my '72, the speedo didn't work. I unscrewed the cable at the xfer case and reattached it, and it worked fine.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
buckeyesam

Definitely not the cable. Must be something in the transfer case. Looking for somebody who has replaced the drive gear and adapter that the speedo screws in to before. Not sure where to get the parts and make sure they are correct. Please ask around, Its all I need to do to get this on the road. Thanks again