The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
bonehead

Thrift air switch help

I am having an issue with my thrift air fan switch. The switch and cable unit is new. It pulls in and out just fine, but when I try to turn the switch on for fan speed it only goes to the first speed. The second and third speed positions just spring back. I've made sure the cable is not kinked. I even removed it completely and it worked ok out of the dash. What do I need to do to this thing to make it stay in the speed where I want it.

Help? Anyone know how to solve this one?
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Thrift air switch help

I’m not familiar with that specific switch/cable, but assuming the switch is operating a cable, it sounds like there’s an adjustment problem between the far end of the cable (the core wire) and the end of the cable jacket where it anchors, much like on a choke cable. If the end of the jacket is too close or too far away from the tip of the cable wire, (depending on the setup) the first position may be extending to maximum travel and any movement beyond that just bends flex into the cable assembly which wants to spring back. Depending on what’s wrong, additional jacket may need to be removed to allow more travel from the jacket anchor to the lever being operated.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
bonehead

It is not the in and out of the cable that is bouncing back, it is the twisting of the knob to activate the fan. when I twist it, it springs back. Maybe it is a bad repro switch.

It seems to me there should be a ball type connection between the switch and the cable to allow the switch to twist independent of the cable pull. Has anyone had a stock switch apart?
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
ACK

Prior to installing the new cable and switch, did you test it out? If not, uninstall it and test to see if it springs back. If it's springing back, it's a problem with the switch. If it doesn't spring back, sounds like it has to be reinstalled anyway. If you didn't, get the switch in place and tightened 1st, then attach the other end beneath the dash.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
bonehead

I tested the switch out of the dash and all three speeds worked. But when installed it binds and springs back. I have routed the cable as straight as is possible. Any other ideas?
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
Old 11-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
ACK

Sorry, I'm stumped. I took mine out last week for lubing and had no issues like this after reinstalling. It's such a simple piece that I can't fathom why it would do this, so I'm leaning towards it being defective.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
bonehead

how did you lube yours? Maybe mine need that done to it. Does it come apart or did you just work it in from the cable end? Maybe I need to buy another one,

This one came with the truck and it may be a cheap imitation part.
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
Old 11-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
ACK

The casing around my cable is like a long metal spring, so I put a thick coating of light oil on it several times, let it sit for a long while, then cleaned it off. Some folks will soak the cable in oil, which is probably more thorough. Pulling the air knob is now easier, but still requires a firm tug.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
bonehead

My casing has a black vinyl cover on it, so I don't think I can lube mine your way. I am thinking of either trying to find a better quality switch or just using it as a push/pull and adding a plain 3 speed switch under the dash (not my prefered method).

Any other ideas, before I hack into it again?
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Sounds like it similar to a 65 Nova I just worked on.

Knob rotates for switch, but also pulls on cable ?

Binding with cable, not rotating freely ?

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRocka View Post
Sounds like it similar to a 65 Nova I just worked on.

Knob rotates for switch, but also pulls on cable ?

Binding with cable, not rotating freely ?
Yep, any solutions from your issue that may help me?
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
Old 11-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

You said you did lube it ?

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
bonehead

No I didn't lube the cable yet, I was looking for suggestions on how that would be done and whether anyone thought that was the issue.

My cable has a vinyl cover on it, maybe that needs to be removed and then maybe the cable soaked in oil, then drained??? Do you think that might fix it?
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
LDO

Wow,
I just spent the better part of yesterday fooling around with this switch. I too noticed the binding you describe when turning the knob to control fan speed. The old switch didn't seem to do this but then, it wasn't working correctly to begin with. The new switch I received from classic parts has different connections on the back and the threaded stud is a larger diameter so the bezel doesn't fit AND it won't go thru the hole in the dash panel either.

I took apart my old switch and the new one just to see what's what and didn't see any differences is in the components or what could be causing the binding but it seems like any bend in the cable causes the rotary switch to spring back.

Not sure where you purchased your swtich from or if you experienced any of the problems i did with the terminals or size of the threaded stud.

Sorry, not sure I helped you much but at least now you know you're not alone in your struggle!

BTW, I don't feel it's a lubrication issue.

Last edited by LDO; 11-13-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: added final comment
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
bonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
Wow,
I just spent the better part of yesterday fooling around with this switch. I too noticed the binding you describe when turning the knob to control fan speed. The old switch didn't seem to do this but then, it wasn't working correctly to begin with. The new switch I received from classic parts has different connections on the back and the threaded stud is a larger diameter so the bezel doesn't fit AND it won't go thru the hole in the dash panel either.

I took apart my old switch and the new one just to see what's what and didn't see any differences is in the components or what could be causing the binding but it seems like any bend in the cable causes the rotary switch to spring back.

Not sure where you purchased your swtich from or if you experienced any of the problems i did with the terminals or size of the threaded stud.

Sorry, not sure I helped you much but at least now you know you're not alone in your struggle!

BTW, I don't feel it's a lubrication issue.
I'm glad you had an old switch to take apart. I was thinking that the replacement switches may have been constructed differently. I would think that there would be some kind of ball swivel between the switch and the cable so they would rotate independently. But, based on your obsevations that seems not to be true.

I'm still contemplating the situation, and trying to come up with a solution. Let me know if you think of anything that might fix our dang switches.

oh, and yes my dash switch hole was hogged out by the PO to make the repro switch fit apparently as well.

ongoing...
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
LDO

Unfortunately, I also messed up the new $60.00 switch

I'm gonna keep working it and see what I can come up with. It's rediculous how much they charge for these things! I did find that the 60's novas used a smiliar switch but I'm sure they are just as $$$ pricey!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #17
bonehead

Hey guys, I finally fixed my thrift heater switch. I have not been messing with it for a few months now, but I have been thinking about how to fix it. Remember my problem was the shaft would not rotate independent of the wire cable to allow the fan speeds to work, it was frozen solid. It was a new switch so I figured maybe something internal was off the track or hosed up, so I did what any warm blooded motorhead would do and I tore it apart, ...$70 dollars be dammed!

It turns out that the wire goes into the knob shaft and has some kind of ball on the end that holds into the shaft but is supposed to spin,... mine was frozen up. Maybe a cheap repro defect. So I put some oil into the little hole and stuck the wire into my vise, put some vice grips on the shaft and started working it back and forth slowly and adding a little oil. within a few minutes it was loosened up and moving ok. I put the switch back together (take special note of the assembly it's tricky) and reinstalled it into the dash, after putting a new loop into the end of the wire.

And yippie!!! it works, Heat and defrost with 3 speeds to boot.

Hope this was some help to you guys with the same issue.
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
LDO

Glad you got it working!

I ended up finding someone who had a stash of these used but good and bought them so I would have a spare. Works good and hooks up just like it should.