The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
'65 chevy lover

Maximum wheel width

I am trying to determine the max wheel size I can run on my '65. I would like to go with 8" on the front and 10" on the rear. I will be using 15" wheels. I'm guessing that wheel offset will also play into this. I have 2 1/2" drop spindles on front and stock height on the rear. If I do decide to drop the rear, it will only be 1". Thanks in advance for any help.
'65 chevy lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
LVPhotos

Re: Maximum wheel width

295/45/18. Had 275/60/15. But would say 295/50/15 is about what is available in a 15. I went 18x9.5 rear 18x8 front. Backspace is a major player as rubbing will acure.
Posted via Mobile Device
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
gimmy 64

i have 8 inch rims all around 245-60-15 on front and 275-60-15 on the rear. if you go 10 inch rim on back 275 is probably about as wide as you can go. i have about a fingers width between tire and fender.
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

12" wide rear wheel, 325/50/15

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
'65 chevy lover

Thanks to all for the replys!
Old 03-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
donthekawguy

The PO of my truck had 15x10s on it in the back and cut the lips out of the rear fenders to make them fit. I wish he would have rolled them instead cuz now I have to fix that problem. I still have the wheels and I'm thinking about getting some tires and throwing them on.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
koda360

Look man... easy way here.

On rear, measure from inside of bulge of tire to frame ( or what evere protrudes into wheel well farthest) CALL THAT MEASUREMENT "A"

Do same on outside of tire... CALL THAT "B"

Measure width of tire on it now, and add these three measurements togtether...

This is the widest tire that will fit period....now subtract an inch from each side for clearance...

Turn front wheels all the way to left, find closest thing that will rub on inside, measure that CALL IT "E"

Find closest thing that will rub on outside, CALL IT "F"

Do same math you did on rear...

Go to a site that gives you actual measurements of tire... this will fit. nIf you can find two tires (one front, one back) used. buy em, mount em and double check....

If your tire is closres to inside or outside, ust OFFSET to center it...

Prolly sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo, but try it... real easy. Selecting a wheel and tire combo is NOT splitting atoms..
1984 Big Bronco
2002 Durango SLT (Bride's Ride)
koda360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda360 View Post

On rear, measure from inside of bulge of tire to frame ( or what evere protrudes into wheel well farthest) CALL THAT MEASUREMENT "A"

This is the widest tire that will fit period....now subtract an inch from each side for clearance...

Turn front wheels all the way to left, find closest thing that will rub on inside, measure that CALL IT "E"

Go to a site that gives you actual measurements of tire... this will fit. nIf you can find two tires (one front, one back) used. buy em, mount em and double check....

Prolly sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo, but try it... real easy. Selecting a wheel and tire combo is NOT splitting atoms..
A picture is worth a thousand words....and truthfully picking the correct wheel and tire setup for EXACTLY what you picture isn't always easy. The "True" tire measurements vary site to site, tho I respect what you say in terms of at least getting some hard data to quantify before choosing a size.

Its also true that factoring in backspacing is often the most overlooked thing in fitting a wheel combo. With a correct backspace, you can effectively fit more tire in most scenaries, up to a maximum (which I pretty much reached, on a 12 bolt rear with trailing arms).

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda360 View Post

Thanks for the reply...I'll check it out!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
'65 chevy lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words....and truthfully picking the correct wheel and tire setup for EXACTLY what you picture isn't always easy. The "True" tire measurements vary site to site, tho I respect what you say in terms of at least getting some hard data to quantify before choosing a size.

Its also true that factoring in backspacing is often the most overlooked thing in fitting a wheel combo. With a correct backspace, you can effectively fit more tire in most scenaries, up to a maximum (which I pretty much reached, on a 12 bolt rear with trailing arms).

Thanks for the pic!