The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
walker

May need to clean up the old title

I am having yet more problems after the wreck I had a few weeks ago with the other guys Ins co(state farm). My wife and I decided to accept thier settlement offer even though it was low so I could get my truck back on the road. After I called them I was told that I needed to give them my title so they could apply for a salvage title for me before I could get my money. They appraised the truck at $3985 and the damages exceeded that at $6600. Therefor state law requires a salvage title. I have about $6800 in it including the purchase price and new engine, and I have the reciepts. To fix the truck myself it is going to take about $3500 if I buy all new parts. I can/will buy some of the parts used but it is harder to come up with a price.
So, what do I do? Do I send 'em the title and get my money? If so I have heard there are ways to clear the salvage off the title. How do I do that?
Thanks, Andy
'48 Ford 8N tractor(still working)
'67 Scout(Now on the road)
'70 MG B.-sold
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 11:49 PM   #2
tommie
97' Tahoe 2dr/2wd

what state are you in?

im in texas and they don't normally do that unless it is something newer (95 and up)

did you have the vehicle appraised?

get it appraised as what it would of been worth before the accident.

they just don't want to pay crap because they consider it an "old truck"

i wouldn't let them have my title, screw that, most of the time here you will get them back as a "salvage certificate" which you cannot get plates for unless you go back through the state and have it inspected by the state and show where the parts came from and blah blah.

if you want to settle for the money that they offered then do it, but don't let them have the title, it will be a pain later down the road.

tommie
tommie is offline   Reply With Quote