The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
TH3JUICEMAN

Dirty Engine - What to Avoid

Before I go hosing down my engine and bay with Simple Green what parts should I avoid getting wet? Are there any?

Plan is to spray it down with Simple Green, scrub the motor and other surround dirty areas with a toilet bowl brush, and then power wash it off.

Thanks!
TH3JUICEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Low87
been here longer than Liz

Re: Dirty Engine - What to Avoid

The more electrical connections you can avoid, the better. Might help to know what year truck you've got.

Any place you don't want wet, use tin foil to wrap the area. Works nicely if crimped well.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Try to avoid the distributor and plug wires. Even if these are brand new, water has a way of getting exactly where you don't want it, remember Murphy's law. Cover the distributor with a few zip lock bags and rubber band it in place. If you do this at home, remove the plug wires entirely, then pressure wash and blow dry. If your going to the local car wash, leave the engine running. You could leave the wires on at home and run the eng too, but I'm thinking of the wires having to endure pressure washing.
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
TH3JUICEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low87 View Post
The more electrical connections you can avoid, the better. Might help to know what year truck you've got.

Any place you don't want wet, use tin foil to wrap the area. Works nicely if crimped well.
74' Cheyenne Super

I'm just fearful of getting something wet that shouldnt and make a project into a nightmare
Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

Call me crazy, but if I'm spraying the engine bay I do it while the truck is running, Use only a light spray, and avoid the dang headers and air cleaner!!!!! The way i look at it is how much worse can it be than blasting through a deep puddle while I'm bombing on a logging road.

Be sure to let the degreaser soak for a minute or two as well
Posted via Mobile Device

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
TH3JUICEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
Try to avoid the distributor and plug wires. Even if these are brand new, water has a way of getting exactly where you don't want it, remember Murphy's law. Cover the distributor with a few zip lock bags and rubber band it in place. If you do this at home, remove the plug wires entirely, then pressure wash and blow dry. If your going to the local car wash, leave the engine running. You could leave the wires on at home and run the eng too, but I'm thinking of the wires having to endure pressure washing.
Good point on the distributor. The plan was to do it at the car wash. I have a pressure washer but don't want to ruin my driveway with all the oil and stuff that's about to come off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willett View Post
Call me crazy, but if I'm spraying the engine bay I do it while the truck is running, Use only a light spray, and avoid the dang headers and air cleaner!!!!! The way i look at it is how much worse can it be than blasting through a deep puddle while I'm bombing on a logging road.

Be sure to let the degreaser soak for a minute or two as well
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like keeping the truck running is a good idea.

Alternator, expose or cover? Power steering ?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
cfan10

Think it would be easier to take the dizzy cap off, disconnect wires to alt double/tripple bag carb, alt and dizzy base. Did mine last year, watch out for flash rust.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
cfan10

Oh yeah, think brake cleaner is better to break the gunk, gets kinda expensive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rest In Peace:Mikhail {Mickey Rooney} Alpha 2/5/13 Omega 7/22/14 10:28AM I love you tremendously and outragiously Superpuppi Thai Ridgeback...The most intelligent dog known to me.
Don't mess with my truck, my momma or my money...not necessarily in that order. ©
Stand for something or fall for anything.
[LIST][*]'98 Bourbon St. Brawl ©2010
cfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
83GMCK2500

I have never had a anything of mine or family's fail to start after washing underhood. Note: All the squares were HEI. I even washed my 2007 Duramax the same way...

Spray down any plastics lightly dirty/dusty parts with a quick even coat of degreaser (Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean, sometimes 409, or Frank's Special Degreaser). I will saturate problem areas, top of intake manifold, front of heads, PS pump/box, anything OILY. I let it sit a bit and then go to town with the pressure washer. I wash UNDER the distributor but I do not hold the nozzle near where the cap meets the base, I do my valve covers but I am careful near the oil fill, pcv, and breather tube. I wash power steering pump and reservoir very well, but again, I do not get the nozzle near the cap. I rinse off my batteries, but I generally do that at lower pressure with LOTS of water to ensure I don't splatter corrosive residue all over. I make sure I get the area under the battery trays very well, where the inner fender liners meet the core support. I pressure wash my radiator/condenser very well, but ONLY STRAIGHT ON. I have even gone so far as to build a 6" long wand for my Dad's pressure washer and put on a set of goggles and go to town on the underside of my truck.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
johnnyclack

Location: On the banks of the Clackamas River, Eagle CreeK Oregon

For the real nasty stuff (before I R&R an engine) I use EZ-Off oven cleaner, works great, be sure to spend the time washing off when you’re finished
johnnyclack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
TH3JUICEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
I have never had a anything of mine or family's fail to start after washing underhood. Note: All the squares were HEI. I even washed my 2007 Duramax the same way...

Spray down any plastics lightly dirty/dusty parts with a quick even coat of degreaser (Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean, sometimes 409, or Frank's Special Degreaser). I will saturate problem areas, top of intake manifold, front of heads, PS pump/box, anything OILY. I let it sit a bit and then go to town with the pressure washer. I wash UNDER the distributor but I do not hold the nozzle near where the cap meets the base, I do my valve covers but I am careful near the oil fill, pcv, and breather tube. I wash power steering pump and reservoir very well, but again, I do not get the nozzle near the cap. I rinse off my batteries, but I generally do that at lower pressure with LOTS of water to ensure I don't splatter corrosive residue all over. I make sure I get the area under the battery trays very well, where the inner fender liners meet the core support. I pressure wash my radiator/condenser very well, but ONLY STRAIGHT ON. I have even gone so far as to build a 6" long wand for my Dad's pressure washer and put on a set of goggles and go to town on the underside of my truck.
I like your style! That's for the input and descriptive response!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
billnorman

I recommend you do NOT do it at the car wash unless you live next door to it. First, most car washes do not permit enginr washing, and secondly, if it doesn't start you are stuck at the car wash.
Get it warmed up, then spray it down with your drug of choice, I'd recommend engine cleaner. Mask off the distributor and wash away. Don't wash the bearings out of the alternator or drown the inside of the carburetor. Don't forget the oil pan or transmission and related frame areas and under the cab floor.
billnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
johnnyclack

Location: On the banks of the Clackamas River, Eagle CreeK Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnorman View Post
I recommend you do NOT do it at the car wash unless you live next door to it. First, most car washes do not permit enginr washing, and secondly, if it doesn't start you are stuck at the car wash.
Get it warmed up, then spray it down with your drug of choice, I'd recommend engine cleaner. Mask off the distributor and wash away. Don't wash the bearings out of the alternator or drown the inside of the carburetor. Don't forget the oil pan or transmission and related frame areas and under the cab floor.
Good stuff, that's the way I have done it for the pass five decades...
johnnyclack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

-.go early or late, not when busy, so you get hotter water,and run the block(should be hot you drove it)or use the bottom of your hot-water tank

-.if bylaw came by,we'd get a fine for flushing it down the sewer here,the wash bays are equipped to seperate the grease, any around here are

oil is mentioned here:
http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/laws-l...aw-no-2003-514
- Bag it but,I bring rags and goggles ,what you need to remove and dry out the cap just in case(i've had them start, run, then stall out)

- i tried oven cleaner,doing my 79 inner fenders no good,then degreaser and 1 inch off the and it still left streaks

-
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote