The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
zach33

Long story short

It is against the rules to give up a reliable truck with low miles on it, to buy an
''old truck" that needs a ton of work. Its against the rules because most people can't understand why you would want to do something like that. I would much rather drive an "old truck" that has history and my blood, sweat, and tears in it than some truck that i bought off a lot with 12 other ones that look just like it in a line. Where is the fun in that. I am just glad i found this forum. Everybody here gets it. We all love our square bodies. When i was 16 there was an 86 c10 a couple down the road from me. One day i made my mom stop so that i could ask the owners if it was for sale and if so how much they wanted for it. When i knocked on the door a lady answered and before i could even open my mouth she said "If you are here asking about my chevy it isn't for sale, so get off my porch." I was shocked at how rude she was. I said I was sorry and left. I looked at that truck everyday for about two years just sitting in the same spot, but about two weeks after i asked her about the truck i drove by one day after school and the front end of that truck was all smashed in. I was totally trashed. At that moment I made up my mind that I was going to get me a square body one day. And i wasnt going to let mine just sit. I was going to enjoy it. To anybody who has given me any advice i am greatful. Thanks
zach33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Eyegore
What Hump?

Re: Long story short

It was not her talking it was the alcohol!!!
Hang in there.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
77ChevySharkBite

its probably the alcohol that caused the front end to get smashed in too!!

Great goal man, if you can afford it then do it, I have 2 cars I have a fuel efficient car, and well a very unfuel friendly truck, I love them both. I'm in the process of restoring mine like most of us are, but when I take it for a spin to go put gas in it, its love all over again. Nothing will ever beat the work, time, effort, blood, sweat, tears, or anything that you put into don't let anyone tell you, your dropping too much money into it. You do what you want just always remember its YOUR truck not there's, I have people telling me I'm crazy for wanting to go drop 30k into a truck that I'll never get the money back, to me its not about the money its about at the end of the day when I shut that garage I know its MY truck that will one day attract the eyes of many, and the memories made will always be there.

Sorry for my long story but if you want it, go get it!!

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
meatwagon83

dont worry dude, i get it i have had 5 or 6 squares over the years and i love them, hell mine is my daily!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
bohmankid

When I turned 16 I wanted to buy an old truck. I was all about the 70's Ford Hi-boys. I test drove about five hi-boys and didn't like any of them. My dad finally convinced me to go look at a 1984 Chevy K20, and I fell in love. I'm 21 years old now, and I bought my 3rd square body last Summer. These trucks are amazing! I've daily driven all of my squares!
bohmankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
LDO

Karma is a ***** indeed.
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Low87
been here longer than Liz

Yup.

I remember I was about 10 or so, riding with my Dad. I saw a square shortwide go through the intersection and told my Dad I wanted a truck like that.

When I was 16 I bought an 83 stepside, sold it the next year for my 87 I still own. Had a 77 K5 years ago, and currently drive an 89 K5.

I do believe that squares get in your blood. Good solid trucks that you can tinker with. They even hold up pretty well to a punch when you're POed (sorry Rusty Nuts).

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
GM-power

I love my 79 and want another!! Just dont have enough room haha. Imo Im more comfortable in these old trucks than any off the new ones I drive at work. Solid and easy to work on!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

I get it. There are pictures of mine here someplace. Like Shark Bite says about people asking why dump big bucks into an old truck. I'll tell you why, the new stuff is junk from day 1 and they can't do what a 30 year old square can. Just look at them, 3 or 4 years old and rusted out already, you can't sell them for half what you paid new, they are far to electronicly controlled and as a result, leave you on the side of the road way to often. I put over $14,000 into my restoration over 2 years and I'm on Social security, thank you Unkle Sam, and don't have a pot to pi** in or a window to throw it out of and I still put the money and work into it and never looked back. Even with near half a million miles, I'll drive it anyplace tommorow. Running gear is ALL factory except for changing the clutch once and putting valve seals in twice and 4 carb overhauls. Tune up's and oil changes don't count, LOL I guess 33 years as a Chevy mechanic taught me something. Go for it young man, get yourself that junker and build it yourself. Make it yours, know it better than your girl. When your done, you'll have something you can bet your life on. Jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
meatwagon83

i like it when im at the gas station and somebody always has to say,"i bet that things had on gas!" and to them i say "i could have a new truck with a $700 a month truck payment, b ut i bbought this because its easy to work on and that same $700 will but me a hell of alot more gas than i can burn in a month, and if i cant afford the gas, the truck can sit and no one is going to come get it!"
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
pwradder

my feelings exactly! i've had 88,99,and 2000 model year chevy's and they never had half the charactor these old trucks do- no matter what i did to them (i cant leave anything stock, it's a sickness). the sqaures bring me back to so many child hood memories,i grew up around these trucks. my dad still has the same 81 c20 that he bought in 1984, i had an uncle with an 84 k20, another one with an 87 k10, i had a cousin with a 1978 c10, my dads boss at the auto shop i hung around at as a youth had a late 70's black and silver 4x4 crew cab that stuck in my head for so long, i finally gave in and bought one last year-and its not going anywhere! i just hope i can make the same impression on my kids and pass it down.
1977 srw cc lb 396/700r/4:11's/6'' bds lift/ 35's. sold
1986 suburban 350/700r/3:73's 31's: parted out.
1980 silverado swb 5.3/700r/ 2'' drop/ daily driver. sold
1985 c10 long bed 5.3/700r/2'' drop/17" wheels/ daily driver. sold
1970 c10 long bed-new project! getting ready for the 6.0
pwradder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

i bought these trucks for the blocks for my cars before
a friend told me about a 78 4X2 burb bought it for camping,$500.
drove it couple of years,
wanted a 4X4 for winter bought the 87,
78 got hit,
stripped it,bought an 85 or so i thought
87 got hit,bought a Grand AM
bought a 89 for parts
fast forward bout 10 years,
85 it's an 88
88 got hit ,bought a 78 4X4 Jimmy
Jimmys are rare around here
then a 79 4X4 Jimmy for parts
last summer bought 79 4X2 Jimmy
no regrets, you only live once
just wish i had more space
and didn't have to park on the road!

Last edited by motornut; 03-14-2013 at 10:59 AM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Ziegelsteinfaust

One way to look at it is for the price of the down payment, and a years payments or less. I can have a truck built to my specifications, and desires. Not theirs.

I figure a 3000 down, and 350 a month x12 for $4200. I can tell you what that's a lot of truck for that bit of money, and like others have said. The bank can't take it away.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
bojak

I can relate. For me it was Colt Seaver and the truck in the Fall Guy TV show. First time i saw a truck with a lift and tires and thought it was the coolest thing since Evil Coneaval. From that point forward my eyes have always found the squarebody 4x4 in the crowd. One day i saw a crew cab version that wasn't a dually and was beside myself. 20 year later i own my favorite truck of all time.....for 3k. Thats the best part. My dream is fairly cheap. i will be about 8-10k when all is said and done one day. But for 8-10k i will have a low mile 1 tone crew cab 4x4 classic that has no payments. Yeah i dig it.
bojak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
bilfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
i like it when im at the gas station and somebody always has to say,"i bet that things had on gas!" and to them i say "i could have a new truck with a $700 a month truck payment, b ut i bbought this because its easy to work on and that same $700 will but me a hell of alot more gas than i can burn in a month, and if i cant afford the gas, the truck can sit and no one is going to come get it!"
Amen Meat!! So true.

Go for the oldies Zach, they become a piece of you not some generic payment on the driveway.

I do construction, fish, pull, work, haul, ride in my old girl. I could buy a new truck but never will. I get more looks and compliments on the old 79 then I ever would in some generic new truck.

These trucks are an affair, though my wife finally gets it. One day she said "for what you have into that old thing you could have bought a new one", I said "yeah I could go to the city and pick from the 1000's of trucks from the dealerships, but how about you go there and find me a big block 1979, dually, crew cab, 4x4"

There is just something really rewarding in owning something that isn't just bought on your average lot.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote