The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
wiskers

Does a timing light really work?

Well I know it will with a new timing chain, but what if it had 70k on the motor and it was a single roller chain? There should be slack in the chain, right? I've always bump the timing up a lil high to where it cranks hard when the motors warm and back it down a lil. They always run good this way. Few old timers taught me this. Didn't know if anybody has ever heard of this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
wiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
MalibuSSwagon

Re: Does a timing light really work?

If you have a worn original chain just replace it, double rollers are $18 for the complete set. I had timing issues for a while, until I decided to replace the cam at 93k miles and found a very worn OE chain. The cam was in bad shape as well, the fuel pump lobe was almost worn round.

Do yourself a favor, if you have a good motor (no smoke or excessive leakage) order up a Cloyes double roller, Speedpro lifters and a Melling RV cam. I paid $95 with shipping from Northern Auto, and the truck runs so well now. Its alot cheaper than the hair focal replacement procedures you'll need after tearing out all your hair trying to tune around worn out parts!
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
kalbert

Re: Does a timing light really work?

That's called the "I don't have a timing light" method. Using a light gives you a tool to actually measure where you're set and actually see the effect of a worn chain or drive gear. You can still crank it up till it pings then dial it back a bit, but then you use a light to see where you're at so you can set it there again.
Posted via Mobile Device
kalbert is offline   Reply With Quote