The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
slam59

Possible carb problem or fuel pump?

Not sure what to look into first. When starting my 74 c10 it takes a few tries then starts right up. And after that you can turn it off and just turn the key and starts up right away,no matter how many times you do that, starts right up, the way it should. But if after that, you pull up and stop a bit, like 10 minutes or longer, it gives a hard time starting. I have to try like 3-5 times, and its like there's a slight odor of gas. Could it be the fuel pump is not doing its job or maybe on the carb, is'nt there a line that keeps fuel in the bowl? Or maybe the floats? Last night wife and I were at the sonic burger drive up, like the old time burger shops where you order from your car and they bring you the food. We sat parked and ate, for like 30 mintues or so and man, it took a good 4 tries to start it, almost thought it would not start. It is an
Edlebrock 1406 4 barrel carb.

1977 3/4 ton Silverado 454

1999 2 door 2wd Tahoe
slam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: Possible carb problem or fuel pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam59 View Post
Not sure what to look into first. When starting my 74 c10 it takes a few tries then starts right up. And after that you can turn it off and just turn the key and starts up right away,no matter how many times you do that, starts right up, the way it should. But if after that, you pull up and stop a bit, like 10 minutes or longer, it gives a hard time starting. I have to try like 3-5 times, and its like there's a slight odor of gas. Could it be the fuel pump is not doing its job or maybe on the carb, is'nt there a line that keeps fuel in the bowl? Or maybe the floats? Last night wife and I were at the sonic burger drive up, like the old time burger shops where you order from your car and they bring you the food. We sat parked and ate, for like 30 mintues or so and man, it took a good 4 tries to start it, almost thought it would not start. It is an
Edlebrock 1406 4 barrel carb.
Edelbrock's are known for evaporating fuel. Then when you go to start it, the new cool fuel hits the hot carb and it flash boils so you have to sit there and wait for the bowls to cool down and then you can start. I have/had this problem on mine. Ended up getting a spacer to keep the temps down on the carb.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
slam59

Oh ok. Been googling this issue and most say the spacer solved the problem and some said it was bad/cracked fuel line from tank to fuel pump. Once replaced, proper amount of gas was being sent to fuel pump. Will check fuel line, and get a spacer. Thanks!

1999 2 door 2wd Tahoe

Last edited by slam59; 11-04-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
Edelbrock's are known for evaporating fuel. Then when you go to start it, the new cool fuel hits the hot carb and it flash boils so you have to sit there and wait for the bowls to cool down and then you can start. I have/had this problem on mine. Ended up getting a spacer to keep the temps down on the carb.
That's the best explanation anyone could type. Add a spacer and your problem should go away. With the Edelbrock having the float bowl right over the manifold it's more prone to this problem than Holley carbs are since their bowls are suspended off each side of the main carb body.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
kody

had the same problem with mine.had to install fuel regulator,edelbrocks dont like over 6 lbs. fuel presure,also instaled 1 inch spacer,works great now.good luck.
kody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
slam59

Well yesterday finally got around to having my friend install the "1 Phenaulic spacer with 2 new gaskets, one between carb and spacer and the other between bottom of carb and top of engine. Man what a difference. He used a heat temperature gun to see what the temps were before and after. Bottom of carb was 148 degrees before hand, And the temperature after spacer was installed was 106 degrees! 38 degree difference! Carb is much cooler. We let the truck run for like 25 minutes and the then turned off, for like 20 mintues and restarted. When I went and restartd it, it did not hesitate one second to start right up! Did not even pump the gas with foot. Just reached in thru window and turned the key. Awesome. No more turning and turning trying to start it after its been hot and sitting over 10 minutes. One thig I noticed right away as well is the cold start, and I mean dead cold start, starts right up as well. It used to take 2 times to start it from a cold dead start. I am thinking that was because once car was parked for the night, the hot carb was boiling the gas in the bowl away, so when I would go to start it up after it sitting over night, there was no fuel in the carb bowl. But now. since the carb is no longer real hot, once motor is shut off, the fuel in the carb bowl stays there like it should till I start it up again. What a relief it is doing this simple mod. Noticed a bit more power at low end for sure!

1999 2 door 2wd Tahoe
Old 03-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #7
robs71k5
K5drive

I can diddo that in exactly the same order in fact I'm going out to the garage to see if my blazer is still there lol. I'm still playing with mine. went out and bought quad for rebuild and still have to do floats in edlebrock cause I want to see the apparent night and day difference between the two. should be wrapping up the Edlebrock this weekend maybe the quad the following weekend. Going to do the quad second cause they are more temper mental and I'm already mental from all the reading and beer drinking .HAPPY NEW YEAR ! lol
robs71k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
bammax

I had the exact problem with my old q-jet along with many other problems. When I swapped to an e-brock 1411 that starting issue was the only problem that wasn't solved. Now I know what needs to be done. I just need to find the best spacer to use. Hood clearance and throttle bracket might be a limiting factor for me.
bammax is offline   Reply With Quote