The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
ubtripn

Technical Question

I found a 1989 Jeep wagon that has an inline6 with AC that runs like a top. I can get the rig for $700, I am thinking about pulling the engine/ac and installing in my truck. Anybody done this type of conversion before?

It has the: Factory rated at 190 hp, 225 lb-ft of torque at the crank/Fuel injected: The 4.0 made more power than the Ford 302 V8, Chevy 305, Chrysler 318, and AMC 360, as well as any of the six cylinder engines the Japanese were putting in their trucks, and it had comparable or better fuel economy.

Last edited by ubtripn; 03-14-2013 at 12:03 PM.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Technical Question

Lot of custom mounting and converting wiring etc. Personally I would back away from the idea. There are a lot of easier conversions out there and you could stay with GM
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
71K20chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
Lot of custom mounting and converting wiring etc. Personally I would back away from the idea. There are a lot of easier conversions out there and you could stay with GM
Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
chopnchaneled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71K20chevy View Post
X's Three and also back when i had one of those jeeps, the gas mileage was
not the best, around 14 mpg on average.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
BlackedOut67shorty

Put in consideration there are options that have a lot more power making it less effort to move equaling better fuel economy.
Posted via Mobile Device
2000 mercury sable
Thats a how I roll
BlackedOut67shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
71K20chevy

The thing is-I think people expect too much fuel economy out of our 40 year old trucks. My '71 with a 350 in it gets 13 mpg highway on the Quadrajet BEFORE the carb got rebuilt.

If you're really set on gas mileage, I'd go with an LS swap. Pretty decent power too.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
71ChevySS(straight6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71K20chevy View Post
The thing is-I think people expect too much fuel economy out of our 40 year old trucks. My '71 with a 350 in it gets 13 mpg highway on the Quadrajet BEFORE the carb got rebuilt.

If you're really set on gas mileage, I'd go with an LS swap. Pretty decent power too.
i agree with the LS swap. i saw an LS 350 on craigslist for about $425. i forget where now, but anyways...

Another engine-related question, my 71 has the 250 I-6, and it ran great until last summer. about late July it started doin somethin funky. when i put it in third and fourth gears, and gave it throttle, it acted like i kept hitting the clutch. it would buck and throw me forward a little bit every couple seconds. in neutral and sitting still, i could rev it all i want and it would act fine, but in higher gears it would do random stuff. i took it to a mechanic and told him to drive it a ways. came back 2 months later, he said "oh, just replace your valve cover gasket." i dont believe thats the problem. any ideas?
71ChevySS(straight6) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
71K20chevy

A bad valve cover gasket should do nothing but leak oil...

As you sure he didn't mean the valves themselves?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
SS Tim

While possible it is not a good idea. In the end you will spend a lot of time trying to integrate that engine into your truck to what end? What are you planning for a transmission? If you think this is going to be a cheap solution, it won't be. Better off looking for a drop in GM I-6 or V-8. If you just want something different (probably the poorest reason for a swap) then consider its value both before and after the swap and the timeline involved.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
buckskins4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71ChevySS(straight6) View Post
i agree with the LS swap. i saw an LS 350 on craigslist for about $425. i forget where now, but anyways...

Another engine-related question, my 71 has the 250 I-6, and it ran great until last summer. about late July it started doin somethin funky. when i put it in third and fourth gears, and gave it throttle, it acted like i kept hitting the clutch. it would buck and throw me forward a little bit every couple seconds. in neutral and sitting still, i could rev it all i want and it would act fine, but in higher gears it would do random stuff. i took it to a mechanic and told him to drive it a ways. came back 2 months later, he said "oh, just replace your valve cover gasket." i dont believe thats the problem. any ideas?
LS for $425??? Dude, if it even ran worth a crap in my area it would go for more than $1500. I would jump on that thing in a heartbeat.....even as a rebuilder its worth that.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
71ChevySS(straight6)

maybe it was a 305, i cant remember exactly... anywho, yeah, i knew a bad valve cover gasket would leak oil, and he never metioned anything about the valves themselves. if i can ever find time to run to a parts store, ill get new plugs, wires, and points, and at some point i want to switch to electronic ignition. my neighbor has a compression tester, so im going to take it over there and run a compression test. if nothin else works, ill check the valves and lifters. maybe a broken valve spring? i dont know... anyways, thanks for the help.
71ChevySS(straight6) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
luvbowties

Smile Re: Technical Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71ChevySS(straight6) View Post
maybe it was a 305, i cant remember exactly... anywho, yeah, i knew a bad valve cover gasket would leak oil, and he never metioned anything about the valves themselves. if i can ever find time to run to a parts store, ill get new plugs, wires, and points, and at some point i want to switch to electronic ignition. my neighbor has a compression tester, so im going to take it over there and run a compression test. if nothin else works, ill check the valves and lifters. maybe a broken valve spring? i dont know... anyways, thanks for the help.
RIGHT NOW would be an ideal time to install that electronic ignition, don't you think?
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote